Second Guessing, Red vs. Green?

I'd like to point out (from my experience, as well as reading ) that lacing on a blue chickens often improves after the first hard molt. I hope thus doesn't make your decision harder.

I'll keep that in mind while selecting the girls.

It really got me thinking when I realized that Green has better coloring than the hatchery catalog photos.

I keep coming back to the fullness of Green's chest -- though I ought to feel keelbones tonight when I'm closing them up and throwing them out of the nestboxes to make sure it's not just feathers -- I'm 90% sure of it, because I handle them every night, but I can do it more purposefully.

I keep coming back to the fullness of Green's chest -- though I ought to feel keelbones tonight when I'm closing them up and throwing them out of the nestboxes to make sure it's not just feathers -- I'm 90% sure of it, because I handle them every night, but I can do it more purposefully.
You've said that Red is bigger, but how much difference are you talking about? If it's just a little bit, and Green is better in all other respects, I would keep Green.

You've said that Red is bigger, but how much difference are you talking about? If it's just a little bit, and Green is better in all other respects, I would keep Green.

I don't have current weights. 2 weeks ago it was a couple ounces.

Red is just enough taller to see it live but not enough to be clear in the photos. Green is about as broad across the shoulders though.

I've read here on BYC that Strombergs and Whelp get their birds from Privett in New Mexico.

New Mexico is good for me the same as Ideal in Texas is good for me -- breeding flocks pre-adapted to the heat.

I don't have current weights. 2 weeks ago it was a couple ounces.

Red is just enough taller to see it live but not enough to be clear in the photos. Green is about as broad across the shoulders though.
Is height important for Australorps?

Fast weight gain is certainly useful, but it looks like Green may be close enough in weight, and enough better in other respects, that you should just keep him.

Is height important for Australorps?

Fast weight gain is certainly useful, but it looks like Green may be close enough in weight, and enough better in other respects, that you should just keep him.

I'm too much of an amateur to really understand what I'm reading in the SOP^ -- almost everything about an Australorp is supposed to be "medium" -- and breed clubs seem to be weirdly shy about posting photos of show champion birds for everyone to look at and emulate.

^I'm reading the Australian SOP since it's online and available.

I'm too much of an amateur to really understand what I'm reading in the SOP^ -- almost everything about an Australorp is supposed to be "medium" -- and breed clubs seem to be weirdly shy about posting photos of show champion birds for everyone to look at and emulate.

^I'm reading the Australian SOP since it's online and available.
That's so strange! You'd think they'd want to show them off...

Back
Top Bottom