Second Guessing, Red vs. Green?

If they came from a hatcheries it really dont matter which one you keep as they prolly werent bred for sop to start with id personally would keep the darker blue as the other ones to washed out. Though if you plan on selling chicks I doubt people will care about sop as most just want a bird that lays an egg. Well thats all they care about around here anyways lol

If they came from a hatcheries it really dont matter which one you keep as they prolly werent bred for sop to start with id personally would keep the darker blue as the other ones to washed out. Though if you plan on selling chicks I doubt people will care about sop as most just want a bird that lays an egg. Well thats all they care about around here anyways lol

Among the 5 of there there was quite a bit of difference in size and conformation. I'm trying to do my best with what I have.

When you pick up the birds to compare keels also compare their backs. You want the back to be wide entire length not thin at tail. Get hands on and compare the two, you can't rely on visual. The body structure is more important than color. That said if the one with better color is on par with the other then go with the better coloring.

Visually the green banded, darker, bird seems to have a wider tail. But again that can't be confirmed until you get your hands on backs and compare. The lighter, red banded, birds tail feathers are slower to grow in making his hind end look like it V's to shoulders.

When you pick up the birds to compare keels also compare their backs. You want the back to be wide entire length not thin at tail. Get hands on and compare the two, you can't rely on visual. The body structure is more important than color. That said if the one with better color is on par with the other then go with the better coloring.

Visually the green banded, darker, bird seems to have a wider tail. But again that can't be confirmed until you get your hands on backs and compare. The lighter, red banded, birds tail feathers are slower to grow in making his hind end look like it V's to shoulders.

I did that just now when I went out to make the move to the bachelor pen.

Red has a sharper keel and an overall bonier feel. I expect he'd grow into those bones eventually, but Green is as wide even though he's shorter. He has a nice, solid feel to him. I could put my whole hand flat over either one's back without running out of bird.

So Red is in the bachelor pen now.

I don't know anything about breeding, but I do agree greens coloring and stance are better looking to "me" than reds. Red just doesn't seem as uniform overall. Either way you're gonna have a good pot of something😉

I don't know anything about breeding, but I do agree greens coloring and stance are better looking to "me" than reds. Red just doesn't seem as uniform overall. Either way you're gonna have a good pot of something😉

I'll give the three cull boys one more chance to be sold on Craigslist to someone who wants to raise blue chicks this spring.

I have such a hard time getting good photos of the birds since they're so active, but I thought you'd like to see how Green, now known as Rameses, has turned out.

He's 10 months old and still a perfect gentleman with me and decent with his girls.

0719221707c-jpg.3198050

That chest has continued to broaden and I think he looks well-balanced overall.

I'm comparing him to the Australian standard since that's online: http://www.openpoultrystandards.com/Australorp

400px-Australorp_male.png

Back
Top Bottom