Second guessing that my big boy is the breed I purchased

The stats you gave don't sound very big?
6lbs is about average for a typical Large Fowl hen, and 8lbs for roosters. Leghorn hens run about 4 lbs +/-.
His height and wingspan sound normal.

I'd call his shank color white, or depleted yellow. The latter happens to the Leghorn hens after a long laying season, as the carotenoids from certain foods are used in egg yolks. It's possible a rooster raised without access to many of those foods could lack the carotenoids to color his shanks.
He may be a California White? Which are half Leghorn, bred for production.

He looks like a Leghorn aside from skin color. Their combs should stand straight, they should have white earlobes. I have seen plenty of white skinned LHs, though they typically come from project pens.
He's massive also. He's roughly 20" and 2 and a half ft wing span. He's 10 months old and weighs just over 6lbs. Maybe I was misinformed or I misunderstood their breed traits and he is just on the larger side of these growth ranges. He's a great Roo, still a little flighty and not a cuddle up guy by any means.

There is a breed that fits, American bresse, but I think they are extremely rare. So I don't think it is that, but wouldn't hurt to ask if you bought him from a breeder.
Speaking of Bresse, I traded a few of my extra roosters for what we're supposed to be Bresse pullets. I'm not going to assume that they are that. If so, I have 4 that are just shy of 4 months old and they are actually pretty babies. I don't see them getting as big as giagantor the white Wonder chicken lol. Here's a picture of the girls.

Attachments

• IMG_20230212_142539545.jpg
    IMG_20230212_142539545.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 3
If he's from a backyard breeder then he is probably a mixed breed. If he's from a hatchery/feed store he is probably one of their hybrids.
Hybrid is my guess. The gentleman I got him from isn't a breeder so far as just throwing in whatever he's go in the same pen, he is a good breeder that I think was not given a full disclosure of the parents lines and he breed to his knowledge of.

Back
Top Bottom