Second night in coop - too cold?

iowacricket

Chirping
Oct 6, 2020
Eastern Iowa
Nervous first-timer here, so I might be overthinking. We put our 8-week-old chicks out for their first night in the coop yesterday and they did just fine. They've been in their enclosed run during the day for the past week or so (temps ranging from 40-55F) and last night it dropped down to 27F here in Iowa. But tonight it's supposed to be 15F (9F with the wind). Their coop is insulated, well-ventilated, and draft-free, but I'm still a little nervous since it's a big drop from what they've been used to. Is there anything else I can do to make sure they're okay in the coop tonight?

We have nine chicks and two roosts. Four were roosting like normal and five were huddled together on the other roost's poop board last night.
If they aren't huddled in a pile, they are just fine. And if some are roosts and others aren't they are also just fine.
Chances are the 5 huddled on the poop board just need to figure out the roost yet.

Nervous first-timer here, so I might be overthinking.
The 'firsts' are hard, especially the first winter...
...but you'll be surprised how tough they are.

They've been in their enclosed run during the day for the past week or so
How warm is it where they have been spending the nights?

How warm is it where they have been spending the nights?
They've been in the brooder in our house, off the heat lamp for a couple weeks, so their night time temp has been around 55F. I might be worrying too much, but I've been nervous about the quick jump from 30s to teens. I wish it was more gradual.

They've been in the brooder in our house, off the heat lamp for a couple weeks, so their night time temp has been around 55F. I might be worrying too much, but I've been nervous about the quick jump from 30s to teens. I wish it was more gradual.
Are they fully feather out. Try reassuring yourself by putting a hand under a wing and fell how warm it is under there. And they try putting a hand under their belly when they are huddled up and it's warmer there then under a wing. You are doing the right thing as they will get acclimated to cold weather and grow their down under coat. Just like Husky dogs and geese in far northern climes. Good luck and don't worry. Their body temp runs at around 106 F. Can you post some pics of them?

Are they fully feather out. Try reassuring yourself by putting a hand under a wing and fell how warm it is under there. And they try putting a hand under their belly when they are huddled up and it's warmer there then under a wing. You are doing the right thing as they will get acclimated to cold weather and grow their down under coat. Just like Husky dogs and geese in far northern climes. Good luck and don't worry. Their body temp runs at around 106 F. Can you post some pics of them?
They're fully feathered now and you're right, they do feel warm under their wings and bellies. Here are a few pictures.
20201130_171259.jpg

20201129_142657.jpg

20201129_141722.jpg

20201129_142156.jpg

They're fully feathered now and you're right, they do feel warm under their wings and bellies. Here are a few pictures.
View attachment 2431887
View attachment 2431892
View attachment 2431896
View attachment 2431898
See that white with the black speckles. She's keeping her feet warm.. Check it out you'll be surprised how warm her feet are. She pushes her down coat over them. They don't have very big combs and if you keep them dry you won't have to worry about frostbite in their combs as they grow. Also some will put their heads under a wing or another bird. Get them all to roost so they can snuggle. Nice looking birds. Keep up the good work. I say to myself what would they do in the wild. After all they were wild at one time.

Back
Top Bottom