Second sick hen

Digging up insects isn't the only way chickens can get infected with bacteria. Darkling beetles, present almost everywhere, carry harmful bacteria. Rodents carry bacteria. You may never know where they got it. But the symptoms indicate infection, deadly infection, so treating with an antibiotic would be the safest route to take.

Giving penicillin orally is not nearly as effective. You do not have to be absolutely precise in the dosage. You are trying to save the chicken's life. A little too much won't kill her or cause antibiotic resistance.

I would go with 1/2 inch. You just need to get it in the muscle. Breast is biggest. Part the feathers and insert in the thickest part alternating sides of the keel bone.

See above. Also the last time I did injections my hens didn't even twitch. I was worried about hurting them but they didn't seem to care that much.
On the way to pick up the supplies. She's the smallest hen we have and there's not much meat on the breastbone. I'm assuming I can't go too far through with 1/2 inch needle?

Back
Top Bottom