Second sick hen

You can buy from mail order pet supply places, but you don't have the time to wait. Your chicken will be dead by the time it arrives.

Your best bet is to call a vet you've used in the past for a dog or cat, and ask them to sell you a few doses of whatever they have on hand. I have done this, and most vets will be happy to do it. Just reassure them you do not need them to see and treat the chicken.

Another possibility is to call around to friends and relatives and beg them to look in their medicine cabinets for any leftover antibiotics. Any will work on chickens. Just grab it, come back and tell us what it is and the strength and we will figure out the dosage.

You can buy from mail order pet supply places, but you don't have the time to wait. Your chicken will be dead by the time it arrives.

Your best bet is to call a vet you've used in the past for a dog or cat, and ask them to sell you a few doses of whatever they have on hand. I have done this, and most vets will be happy to do it. Just reassure them you do not need them to see and treat the chicken.

Another possibility is to call around to friends and relatives and beg them to look in their medicine cabinets for any leftover antibiotics. Any will work on chickens. Just grab it, come back and tell us what it is and the strength and we will figure out the dosage.
Striking out on antibiotics. I tried 2 vets that wont sell penicillin. Best case now is Tractor supply 45 minutes from here tomorrow. They have it but we're closing when I called. When I got home, she was breathing hard through her mouth and had a clicking sound. I gave her a warm 10 minute soak and a dry in front of the wood burner. A little dab of VetRX and her breathing is normal. I'm thinking her chances are slim without antibiotics until tomorrow. While she was wet I looked her over for breast meat. She doesn't have much. Would under the skin work? She's pretty boney....always has been though.

It needs to go into the breast muscle. Even a millimeter. I hope she survives until tomorrow.

All who are reading along on your thread are experiencing your desperation. When we have a sick chicken that needs help immediately, it's a blessing beyond imagining to have an antibiotic on hand. I've had chickens come down with raging infections that would have killed them if I hadn't had amoxicillin on hand to get it into them fast. Most antibiotics have a pretty long shelf life. I keep an assortment on hand, but this is the one I use the most, and I strongly recommend you go ahead and order some to have on hand so you don't have to go through this stress the next time you have a sick chicken. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/

We are going to try our dog vet in the morning. They sent a sample out for a fecal float today. Maybe they will sell us a few doses. Otherwise it's Tractor Supply.
The next problem is that I won't be here. My wife is going to have to do it. She's not thrilled because the hen is skin and bone. Not sure she can find any muscle..... uggh!

Back
Top Bottom