Jul 23, 2020
Missouri
I’m getting ready to attempt to incubate Ancona duck eggs for the second time. My first DIY incubator was a bust. I made it out of a 10gal aquarium, and I think it just made it too hard to keep the temp steady. My new one is a styrofoam cooler. Plus I added a computer fan. I’ve been running it all week and the temp and humidity is staying steady, so wish me luck!!

CBA42762-FA7A-4DFB-958D-90981BCEE091.jpeg
BB56C575-BD75-47AE-8483-4A094997A484.jpeg

I’m getting ready to attempt to incubate Ancona duck eggs for the second time. My first DIY incubator was a bust. I made it out of a 10gal aquarium, and I think it just made it too hard to keep the temp steady. My new one is a styrofoam cooler. Plus I added a computer fan. I’ve been running it all week and the temp and humidity is staying steady, so wish me luck!!

View attachment 2258594View attachment 2258596
Did you calibrate those thermometers? Looks good. How much ventilation is there?

Did you calibrate those thermometers? Looks good. How much ventilation is there?
I’ve got one mercury and two digital in there along with a thermostat. They are all reading the same (which didn’t happen with the glass aquarium set up). Currently I have a computer fan for forced air circulation, but no ventilation since that was making it hard to regulate, so I capped the hole off.

I’ve got one mercury and two digital in there along with a thermostat. They are all reading the same (which didn’t happen with the glass aquarium set up). Currently I have a computer fan for forced air circulation, but no ventilation since that was making it hard to regulate, so I capped the hole off.
They need lots of ventilation, even if it's forced air. Otherwise all of them will suffocate right at the end.

They need lots of ventilation, even if it's forced air. Otherwise all of them will suffocate right at the end.
There’s obviously plenty of oxygen in the incubator between styrofoam being porous and the opening of the lid for turning. I’ve read that it’s best to start out with no ventilation and gradually add some.

Last edited:
It is a styrofoam cooler, which in itself is porous. Between that and opening the lid to turn eggs, there’s plenty of oxygen. It isn’t a completely sealed incubator. Plus, I’ve read that it’s best to add ventilation gradually after the first week.
That's not enough ventilation. There should be at least two air holes. My incubator has 5.

Back
Top Bottom