Secret rooster?

Justin707

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2022
Hi there,

I've followed these forums for a while but decided to join as I purchased five quail just over a week ago and I've found they're a great little project to have! Unfortunately since yesterday I've been having problems with my little Tuxedo and I think "she" may actually be a rooster.

I have a Tuxedo female, two pharoah females and an Italian female. My rooster is also Italian. I bought him the day after the females and he has peacefully integrated into the flock. Unfortunately yesterday my little tuxedo suddenly started bullying the two pharoahs- chasing them around and attacking them viciously. While observing them the Tuxedo stood upright and crowed, and I've since heard "her" crow several other times.

This morning I checked on them to find the cage in disarray and the two pharoahs almost bald and bleeding and hiding behind the plants and in the PVC pipe I put in for them for cover. I separated the aggressive Tuxedo and while in "her" temporary cage I noticed her poop had white foam, which I always thought was only produced by sexually active males.

20220809_131436.jpg

The pet store I bought "her" and my other three girls from insisted they were all girls (and say they only sell female quail), but as a Tuxedo she's the only one of my birds who can't be feather sexed so it could be possible they were mistaken.

I have a few questions that I hope people in these forums with more quail experience can help me with:
1. Can female Japanese quail crow? It's definitely the three-syllable crow with the last syllable a trilling/throat vibrating type sound if that makes sense.
2. Is the poop in the above image white foam produced by a sexually active male? The image was taken about 20 minutes after I first noticed it, I probably should have photographed it sooner.
3. If the Tuxedo is a male, how is it possible for him to be sexually active? I live in Sydney, Australia, where it's currently winter and we only have 10.5 hours of daylight per day (although I've also been getting one egg every day so at least one female is laying, which also surprises me)
4. The Tuxedo is set up in an old cockatoo cage. She/he has cover, sand, food & water, plants and a nesting box and is beside the main hutch so she/he can still see the others and seems quite happy at the moment. Should I try reintroducing her/him to the flock again at some point?

I apologise for this long message! Any help is welcome.

Kind regards

Looks like foam. I have never had any of my females crow but I'm sure it is possible. I have seen a hen chicken crow so..... I think males are less affected by daylight hours. I would keep it separate 1 male to 4 hens is a good ratio. Younger males tend to be a bit more aggressive when it comes to mating as they dont have it down to a T and make multiple attempts

Looks like foam. I have never had any of my females crow but I'm sure it is possible. I have seen a hen chicken crow so..... I think males are less affected by daylight hours. I would keep it separate 1 male to 4 hens is a good ratio. Younger males tend to be a bit more aggressive when it comes to mating as they dont have it down to a T and make multiple attempts
Thanks Jms, good to know. I also just remembered a few days ago seeing the Tuxedo attempt to mate with the Italian female, but that was before the crowing and the aggressive behaviour and I just assumed they were hormonal or confused.

I thought I had 1 male and four females, but now it seems I may have 2 males and 3 females. I guess I'll have to consider whether to sell the Tuxedo male or find some female company for him. He gets along very well with the Italian female, do you think they would be okay together or he might give her too much attention?

1. No
2. You need to vent sex or wait for a crow/egg. Poop doesn't matter. I've seen foamy poop from a hen-only pen. It's a boy.
3. Your days are getting longer now so that could be enough to trigger that behavior. Or, you have enough artificial light.
4. Do not put that tux back in - if he's already injured some of your females he will likely continue to injure or even kill them. There are plenty of nicer males out there, and hopefully your Italian is one of them :fl. I suppose your current setup could work, but he's likely to crow constantly now that he can't mate. If he were my bird, he'd be headed to my freezer.

It's a roo. I've had success with 1 to 1 pairings. Actually, in some ways I prefer it to more hens with a roo. You could do two cages if you're willing. Most of us have had to learn to cull as a matter of practicality.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I haven't been able to find any local groups or forums for Japanese quail owners so this has been very helpful.

I agree that it's a bad idea to put the Tuxedo back in with my pharoah females. He seems pretty happy at the moment in his new setup, and the pharoah girls have relaxed a lot more in the adjacent cage. I added the Italian female to the Tuxedo's cage because they get along well. He's stopped crowing and sure enough they've been happily romancing.

I guess I need to decide whether to keep the Tuxedo or sell him- I had originally intended to have 1 male and four females. But he's happy with the Italian female, and my two pharoah females are happy with my other little rooster, who has a great temperament.

Back
Top Bottom