Securing Chicken Feed From Black Bears

1. Would storing feed in a airtight container within a large, locked shed, still attract bears? If so, we might put it in our basement instead.
Don't store feed in the Basement! Most basements are damp. Feed can mold quickly in a moist environment.
I keep my feed, scratch grains, oyster shells and grit in a spare room near the back door. 20190210_112637.jpg . GC

Don't store feed in the Basement! Most basements are damp. Feed can mold quickly in a moist environment.
I keep my feed, scratch grains, oyster shells and grit in a spare room near the back door.View attachment 1798574. GC
Good call. We will go with storing it in airtight, metal containers in a storage closet indoors... We'll make room somehow!

I had success scaring off a black bear who broke into my screened porch to go after the garbage. (In my defense, I had only lived here a month and didn’t know better.). I screamed at it from an upstairs window. It worked quite well - dropped everything and took off.

Black bears are quite different from grizzlies. But they will do anything to protect their cubs. And they will break in when they smell food. One woman in a wheelchair was mauled in Vermont last year in her own kitchen. They think she was “in the way” when the bear was trying to escape.
Sounds like it was baptism by fire when you moved in, glad you were able to scare it off unscathed. I'm hoping our resident bears and us maintain a mutually respectful distance from one another, but of course never say never.

Our, Eastern bears are very bold, and not frightening easily. I'm in NY, and have had a bear raid my brid feeder and not move a inch with me shining a very bright light in it's eyes and my two dogs in there pen going ballistic. All this only 15' from the bear.

My dumpster has been emptied several times. Last yr I was mowing a clients lawn when a lady with a small dog walked in the yard and she was definitely shook up.
Seems a large bear had followed them for about 1/2 mile down this dirt Rd, huffing and posturing only a short distance behind her.

Thankfully , my mower was two much of a deterrent, and the bear walked off, and I gave the lady a ride back to her car.

Don't underestimate our " less aggressive" Eastern bears.

Our, Eastern bears are very bold, and not frightening easily. I'm in NY, and have had a bear raid my brid feeder and not move a inch with me shining a very bright light in it's eyes and my two dogs in there pen going ballistic. All this only 15' from the bear.

My dumpster has been emptied several times. Last yr I was mowing a clients lawn when a lady with a small dog walked in the yard and she was definitely shook up.
Seems a large bear had followed them for about 1/2 mile down this dirt Rd, huffing and posturing only a short distance behind her.

Thankfully , my mower was two much of a deterrent, and the bear walked off, and I gave the lady a ride back to her car.

Don't underestimate our " less aggressive" Eastern bears.
I'm glad you were in the right place at the right time for that lady. We often take morning or evening walks up and down our road, now we will be looking over our shoulders constantly (previously our biggest fear was startling a deer into kickboxing action). We know they've always been there, but seeing proof somehow made it that much more real to us.

Back
Top Bottom