Sediment in nipple waterers

CluckerFamily

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Feb 14, 2016
Wisconsin
Thank you for the info, no nipples for my flock, then! We have iron as well.
Mine lasted for 1 year. So if you are okay with replacing the nipples every year, it isn't a big deal. But anything past a year will cause a flood. I went to a normal waterer and in the winter, it sits on a heater base. I have been very pleased with this.

RoosterML

Make Ameraucanas Great Again
Premium Feather Member
Nov 5, 2018
Tolland County Connecticut, USA
If you have that much sediment from your well water I would be worrying about your house plumbing fixtures ie. faucets, shower valves, toilet tank, dishwasher the list goes one. It’s pretty cheap to install a whole house sediment filter. That would be my recommendation.

DaisyG2317

Songster
Jul 14, 2020
Tulip Town, WA
If you have that much sediment from your well water I would be worrying about your house plumbing fixtures ie. faucets, shower valves, toilet tank, dishwasher the list goes one. It’s pretty cheap to install a whole house sediment filter. That would be my recommendation.
Have one for inside but not for outside. One for tannins as well.

Sally PB

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
We had to replace our water softener a couple months ago. The company who tested the water said it wasn't particularly hard, but the iron was extremely high. He recommended an iron curtain in addition to the softener. $1300 expense became a $2900 expense, but I don't regret it ONE BIT. Wow, what a improvement. I can literally see the difference. So, yup, the chickens will get "inside" water.

Top Bottom