Seed starting problems

KeriT

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2015
Piedmont, SC
I am new to seed starting and I started three 72 well seed starting kits and NOT one came up. I put water in and had a little in the bottom pan and put the lid on that came with it and put in my little outside greenhouse. I got nothing, what did I do wrong??

Last edited:
Ok. I opened the greenhouse during the day. Idk what the temp inside was day or night. It was chilly at night and warm during the day with some variances. It's been weeks and some of the seeds were ones I had from last year, some were from online, some were old so I knew those may not come up but I didn't get a single sprout so I know I did something wrong. So too much water and fluctuation in temp may have done it.

I start my seeds indoors making a non dirt mixture of peet moss, perlite, and vermiculite, I mix this with water until I can grab a handful of it and it stays in a ball. I used a 72 cell seed starter as well, and this year had very good luck with it. I kept it at room temperature, about 68F, Today I had to put the seedlings in bigger pots as they were getting very leggy. transplanted over 50, tomatoes, pole beans, cantalope, cukes, zuchini, pumpkins. Using a fluorescant light on them now for about 14hr a day, I spray them daily, and make sure the soil is moist. I've done this type of seed starting for many years and have had very good luck doing it.Make sure your temps stay the same, maybe you can start them indoors, it's not too late.

Thank you so much for the advice. We are actually getting the garden tilled this weekend. I think I am just going to put everything in the ground. That is how I have always done it and never had these problems. I had just tried the seed starting because of the cold snaps but I agree with you I should have done it in the house. What good is a greenhouse if you can't grow stuff in it?? Lol

There are all kinds of greenhouses and all kinds of ways they are used, but for seed starting it really helps to keep the ground warm and the seeds damp until they sprout. In a greenhouse that may mean an automatic vent at certain temperatures and a heater for when it gets too cool.

I start seeds indoors using a heat box I built out of plywood. I lined the bottom and sides with aluminum foil and use old Christmas tree lights for a heat source. I adjust the temperature by screwing or unscrewing the bulbs. I set the plastic container with the seeds on that and shoot for a soil temperature of 70 degrees. The lid stays on the seeds until they sprout, then the lid comes off to drop the moisture and try to prevent damping off.

There are several threads about this on the sister gardening site. Here is one of them.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/inside-starts-yours-mine.14967/

You also don't need to add light until the seeds actually sprout, so you can stack the trays in the house.
Its really important to maintain a fairly constant temp for starting seeds.
Once sprouted, then you can put them out in the greenhouse.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom