Seed Starting

I started brussels sprouts, kale, kohlrabi, peas, and swiss chard in February. For some reason the chard did not have good germination rates but the kale, kohlrabi, peas and brussels are transplanted outside now. I’ve got broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, squash, assorted flowers, and basil inside right now.
Would you mind sharing a photo of your peppers? I think mine are leggy. But it’s been so long since I’ve done indoor starts that I don’t have anything to compare them to.
E0805D23-8AA3-49F9-BE71-BB918D9D41F7.jpeg

I’ve ordered some grow lights that will be here Monday. What do you think, leggy?

Would you mind sharing a photo of your peppers? I think mine are leggy. But it’s been so long since I’ve done indoor starts that I don’t have anything to compare them to.
View attachment 3435627
I’ve ordered some grow lights that will be here Monday. What do you think, leggy?
They do look a little leggy, but not too bad. The grow light is definitely a good idea, it looks like you just have them in a windowsill. Also, I am curious what substrate you are using (Not that it would effect legginess at this stage, I was just wondering).

Unfortunately, my peppers won’t be much of a comparison as they just started coming up. They don’t even have cotyledons yet. Speaking of which, I was wondering wether it is normal for peppers to take 2+ weeks to germinate. I was on the verge of throwing these out until I saw them coming up.

I’ve have started all kinds of stuff.

I have started everything in doors without a heat map or a humidity dome and under grow lights so as soon as they sprout they get light. I have also been “watering from above” and been fine.

My mix has been normal potting mix with some vermiculite mixed in when starting harder to start tiny seeds.

So far so good with everything.

Did you start all of those indoors?? Being in SC you’re probably warm enough to do stuff outside now, no?

I bought peanuts to do this year, for the first time. I’m pretty excited about those, have you done them before?
Believe it or not, I cannot start outside yet. It is going to be in the 20's for the next 3-days. My wildflowers are going wild

Attachments

• wildflowers.jpg
    wildflowers.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 3
They do look a little leggy, but not too bad. The grow light is definitely a good idea, it looks like you just have them in a windowsill. Also, I am curious what substrate you are using (Not that it would effect legginess at this stage, I was just wondering).

Unfortunately, my peppers won’t be much of a comparison as they just started coming up. They don’t even have cotyledons yet. Speaking of which, I was wondering wether it is normal for peppers to take 2+ weeks to germinate. I was on the verge of throwing these out until I saw them coming up.
Yes they’re just in a windowsill for now, which we’ve had fairly sunny days and it’s a south facing window. But this week is supposed to be cloudy ALL week so I think lights is gonna be the way to go.

As far as substrate I am using a local nurseries in house mix and then vermiculite on top of the seeds. I took a seed starting class at that nursery and that’s what they said they use and I have been using their plants in my garden for years and they’ve always done well so I decided to do it the way they do.

My pepper seed packets said germination 10-21 days, I was shocked when on day 4 I had seedlings. I’ve also been doing lots of reading and up to 3 weeks sounds totally normal.

I’ve have started all kinds of stuff.

I have started everything in doors without a heat map or a humidity dome and under grow lights so as soon as they sprout they get light. I have also been “watering from above” and been fine.

My mix has been normal potting mix with some vermiculite mixed in when starting harder to start tiny seeds.

So far so good with everything.
I think that’s where I went wrong, was not having light right when they sprouted

Back
Top Bottom