Seed Starting

Pics

BabyGotQuack

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
Utah
Was looking for a dedicated seed starting thread and couldn’t seem to find one. The “what did you do in the garden today” thread is great but I haven’t done seed starts in probably 7 years and would love to focus on seed starting ( I already feel like I’m struggling week 1 😬 )

So please share what you’re starting, your tips, thoughts & of course photos.

Was looking for a dedicated seed starting thread and couldn’t seem to find one. The “what did you do in the garden today” thread is great but I haven’t done seed starts in probably 7 years and would love to focus on seed starting ( I already feel like I’m struggling week 1 😬 )

So please share what you’re starting, your tips, thoughts & of course photos.
I have started cucumbers, cherry and regular tomatoes, beans, onions, wildflowers, poppies, peanuts, potatoes, zucchini, and peppers. I use the small 9 cell planters that have a tray underneath for water and a tray over the top to hold moisture. I also use heating mats.

I’m located it UT and started my peppers last Saturday (3/11)

I found these cool silicone seed trays, sili-seedlings. 5 fit perfectly in a 1020 flat.

I’m also using a heat mat & covering with domes.

DB0677C0-1FA9-4004-AF75-FEB8A176BEAF.jpeg

EFF03280-0398-43A5-8997-522380D01B5E.jpeg

Peppers this year we are doing big guy jalapeños, habaneros, carnival bells & Hungarian wax (which we’ve never done before)

I have started cucumbers, cherry and regular tomatoes, beans, onions, wildflowers, poppies, peanuts, potatoes, zucchini, and peppers. I use the small 9 cell planters that have a tray underneath for water and a tray over the top to hold moisture. I also use heating mats.
Did you start all of those indoors?? Being in SC you’re probably warm enough to do stuff outside now, no?

I bought peanuts to do this year, for the first time. I’m pretty excited about those, have you done them before?

James Prigioni - the gardening channel on youtube is my favorite. I am growing some of the things on his "must" grow each year list: Jimmy Nardello peppers, dragon tongue beans, latino F1 squash, dragon suhyo cucumbers, and scallop squash. I am also growing mint to grow around my coop and run to deter pests.

Last edited:
Thursday 3/16 Jalapeños sprouted
55FC5F9F-4BE8-43BE-BA72-A27CC2C498C5.jpeg

Friday 3/17 carnival bells & habaneros sprouted
F2A99B47-4ECE-4EF6-8C6D-05F4F3FF5BD2.jpeg

277B0024-9455-4133-9287-8D8D693F6C7D.jpeg

Today Hungarian wax sprouted
06F16402-66FB-4491-8346-476963B91C97.jpeg

Most of them I have removed the mat & dome, unless there’s only been a couple that sprouted then I still have them on the mats with the dome. That’s what I should be doing, right?

James Pigioni - the gardening channel on youtube is my favorite. I am growing some of the things on his "must" grow each year list: Jimmy Nardello peppers, dragon tongue beans, latino F1 squash, dragon suhyo cucumbers, and scallop squash. I am also growing mint to grow around my coop and run to deter pests.
I will have to check him out.

Never heard of growing mint to deter pests, I may have to try that.

I will have to check him out.

Never heard of growing mint to deter pests, I may have to try that.
I have a bunch of peppermint seedlings going right now for that reason, it's one of my favorite herbs. Mint is even the main ingredient in most deer repellent sprays. My greek oregano and thyme seeds just sprouted along with the peppermint, unfortunately I have like 50 tiny seedlings in a 3" pot. I really hate tiny seeds, I'm so terrible with them.

I have a bunch of peppermint seedlings going right now for that reason, it's one of my favorite herbs. Mint is even the main ingredient in most deer repellent sprays. My greek oregano and thyme seeds just sprouted along with the peppermint, unfortunately I have like 50 tiny seedlings in a 3" pot. I really hate tiny seeds, I'm so terrible with them.
So what do you do with them when you transplant them? Just plant them around the boarder of your coop? Do you have photos of the seedlings?

Back
Top Bottom