Seed Starting

Pics
So what is the reason for cutting off the bottoms and not just using the already there opening? (I hope this isn’t a dumb question lol)
🤦‍♀️<-- That's for me, not you.

DUH! Not a dumb question at all. I for got to explain WHY I do it that way: Less root disturbance.

Plant seeds. Grow seedlings. Wheeeeee..... Time to put them out in the garden. Dig the hole. Bring the baby plant in its pot over to the hole.

Gently peel off the lid of the container, ie, the bottom of the pot. Place the bottomless pot in the hole, gently wiggle the pot, and most of the time, it will loosen up enough to come off the dirt ball. Now slide it up over the dirt ball, and over the plant. Fill in the hole around the dirt ball. Done!

The taper (draft angle, if you like) of the pot means that it will easily clear the dirt and you won't have to try to get the dirt/plant out of the pot.

🤦‍♀️<-- That's for me, not you.

DUH! Not a dumb question at all. I for got to explain WHY I do it that way: Less root disturbance.

Plant seeds. Grow seedlings. Wheeeeee..... Time to put them out in the garden. Dig the hole. Bring the baby plant in its pot over to the hole.

Gently peel off the lid of the container, ie, the bottom of the pot. Place the bottomless pot in the hole, gently wiggle the pot, and most of the time, it will loosen up enough to come off the dirt ball. Now slide it up over the dirt ball, and over the plant. Fill in the hole around the dirt ball. Done!

The taper (draft angle, if you like) of the pot means that it will easily clear the dirt and you won't have to try to get the dirt/plant out of the pot.
Smart! I knew there was a reason, I just couldn’t figure it out 🤣

What kind of peppers are you doing?

Ok, here are pictures of my pots. I just finished making/filling 81 of these.
Start out with a plastic container
View attachment 3437991
Cut off the bottom
View attachment 3437992
Fill with potting soil
View attachment 3437995
My light source is the sun, so it's at an angle, not directly overhead like grow lights. So I fill the container really full. If it isn't, then the lip casts a shadow.
View attachment 3437996
I used a utility knife to cut off the bottom. The pots get weaker and more difficult to cut as you go around. I found that working on a stack helps keep them more stable and safer to cut.
View attachment 3438000
I remember Meijer. I grew up in Plymouth MI.

I started roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and bell peppers. I love peppers but haven't had much luck with them, don't know why. I started the same things last year but they didn't harden off good and died. So this year I hope to do better. They are even taller now, this was taken a few days ago
IMG_20230319_201151093.jpg

I really messed up with my tiny seeds this year! There was just like a pinch of seeds in each of my seed packs and they were small like dust, so I ended up dumping the entire packet in each pot lol. I don't usually grow herbs, just big seed plants like tomatoes/peppers/cabbage, etc. The big ones in the middle are borage and they had already grown roots inside the refrigerator when I was cold stratifying them. I've got pink and white yarrow, Tulsi, German Thyme, Greek Oregano, wild Bergamot, sage, peppermint, and chickweed here. I'm hoping I'll be able to separate them into multiple plants or clumps of plants when I transplant them.

I really want to get the chickweed growing well, so I will have plenty for my Chicks when they arrive in April. I feel bad for not free ranging this new group in advance, so I'm focusing my gardening on growing healthy chicken herbs this year and hopefully will establish some cold hardy perennial herbs.

20230320_100125.jpg

Back
Top Bottom