Seed Starting

Pics
I started the same things last year but they didn't harden off good and died.
Hardening off can be a very important part of the seed starting process. I figure at least a week to do it.

Hardening off is another use for my XL dog crate. I put the crate out in the middle of the garden, put the pots in it, and drape a white sheet over the crate. Attached with clothes pins so it won't blow away.

The sheet breaks the wind and softens the direct sunlight on the plants. After a couple days, I take the sheet off for a couple hours. An overcast day is the best for their first foray into real sunlight. Each day, I leave the sheet off for a couple more hours. By the end of the week to ten days, They've been in direct sunlight all day, with the breeze.

The crate keeps the critters from digging them out of the pots. How did I learn that lesson...?
IMG_0872.JPG

Cameo appearance of Mara, a wonderful dog who blessed our lives for 3 years as an older adoptee.

Hardening off can be a very important part of the seed starting process. I figure at least a week to do it.

Hardening off is another use for my XL dog crate. I put the crate out in the middle of the garden, put the pots in it, and drape a white sheet over the crate. Attached with clothes pins so it won't blow away.

The sheet breaks the wind and softens the direct sunlight on the plants. After a couple days, I take the sheet off for a couple hours. An overcast day is the best for their first foray into real sunlight. Each day, I leave the sheet off for a couple more hours. By the end of the week to ten days, They've been in direct sunlight all day, with the breeze.

The crate keeps the critters from digging them out of the pots. How did I learn that lesson...?
View attachment 3440054
Cameo appearance of Mara, a wonderful dog who blessed our lives for 3 years as an older adoptee.
I love this idea! Thanks!

View attachment 3440054
Stealing this idea!

Nice! Do you have a greenhouse? A greenhouse is on my long list of “needs” 🤣
Yeah, my brother built one for his wife a few years ago but when they moved, they left it. I THINK they are going to take it back at some point as he spent a lot on it but right now they are busy with a new baby, three dogs, work, etc. etc. so for now, I’m taking advantage of it and using it. 😁🤣

9512CDC7-9136-4598-812D-9F8CB5136001.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom