Seemingly Healthy Ducklings Dying!

CarlaD87

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2015
Hi there! I had 9 duck eggs incubating. 8 of them had hatched as of Saturday night (2 minimally assisted, 6 hatched completely unassisted). It is now Monday night, and 4 of those ducklings have died. 2 deaths were the 2 assists, and I can understand why they may have died. The other 2 were the first 2 ducklings to hatch, and were seemingly very strong and healthy. All were eating, drinking, and pooping without issue (no sticky butt or umbilical issues). They had been in a large plastic tub with a heat lamp, pine bedding, and I had a mini-waterer that I made sure to keep full. I was giving them a mixture of waterfowl and chicken starter feed, both un-medicated. Since the 4 deaths, I have moved them into a larger cardboard box with an old towel for bedding (was worried that the pine may have been treated with something), I have made their feed into a very wet mash using only the chicken starter for now, added a small amount of sugar into their waterer, and added a deeper bowl in case they couldn’t clear their beaks well enough. I’m noticing tonight that 1 of the remaining 4 alive is sneezing or just clearing its nostrils every once in a while. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I’m feeling very helpless :(

Maybe some mashed scrambled eggs ? Miss Lydia swears by them
I’ll have my mom make them some in the morning and watch them! The other piece that makes this hard is that I’m a pharmacy student working 13 hour days this week.. it seems like they couldn’t have hatched at a busier time :/

I know how you feel. We are a couple weeks behind at work, treating one duck for copperhead bite, and have 7 in the ‘bator with tomorrow being day 28. Last checked an hour ago and had 5 external pips.
Oh my gosh, good luck! This morning the 4 still appear strong and have definitely been eating and drinking. I’m hoping whatever was wrong with the others has run it’s course and these guys will be ok...

A picture of what you are keeping them in as well as the ducklings would be great. Can you describe their symptoms right before death? How do their navel area's look?

Back
Top Bottom