Seemingly hurt chicken

Can you describe the problem with her neck? Is her neck twisted to the side, upward, or downward? Those symptoms are called wry neck or torticolis, and can be a symptom of certain diseases, from a head injury, or a vitamins deficiency. It can be common in Mareks disease and some respiratory and other infectious diseases. Can you open her eye to see if it is stuck together from drainage, or see if the eyelid is paralyzed? Wry neck is treated with vitamin E, selenium, and thiamine. Adding poultry vitamins to the water and giving a bit of egg or tuna for selenium daily would be good. Poultry Nutri-Drench contains all of those, and the dosage is 3 ml daily by mouth. A picture of her may confirm wry neck. Here is a link to read about it: http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

Thank you! She was fine the next morning . .(my brothers chick) She went to roost that night when he noticed it and we watched her the next day and seemingly is fine. he is like me with the chickens: WORRY WORT! But thanks for the info. I am still learning so this will go in my arsenal of things to treat with for listed elements.

Back
Top Bottom