seems like neuro please help

This could also be Newcastle disease. I just put down a rooster with exact same symptoms. I have not confirmed it by necropsy, but it fits the description well.

There are 2 forms of the disease, common Newcastle, which has low mortality rate, and exotic newcastle, which has higher mortality rate. The former is much more common than the latter. Either type can cause different symptom complexes, from respiratory distress (panting with beak open even when weather is not hot enough to make other birds pant), to sudden death, to neurologic symptoms exactly as you describe. Some birds just a little sleepier for a few weeks. Watch the rest of your flock carefully for the other types of symptoms.

Common newcastle is said to be common in free ranging flocks, because they have contact with wild birds, many species of which carry or suffer from the disease.

Check out my recent posts about it here under the emergencies/diseases/injuries section.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this, and I wish I could be more helpful...I know how I would feel if this were one of my girls. Hopefully someone with more experience will have some good advice for you. Best of luck to you!

I just took her out of crate again she does sound congested SO said she didn't when we brought her in no wheezing that that I discern but nasally sounding if that makes sense to ya'll balance better no more head shaking going on at present . What would be the vote for antibotics ???
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Could be a thiamin (b-vitamins) deficiency! That causes all sorts of neuro dysfunction....in humans and animals alike! My friend just told me her hen was displaying similar problems and her vet told her to supplement her with thiamin.

Please let us know how your hen is doing. Here is a link to a thread on respiratory disease and antibiotics, including the dose for Tylan, which can be used for some respiratory diseases. I understand Tylan can also be given orally and perhaps you can search for the dose for that if you decide to treat with Tylan. Please note that some respiratory illnesses are caused by viruses and so antibiotics may not help your hen. If she has a respiratory illness caused by a virus, it will just have to run its course. The decision whether to treat with antibiotics is a difficult one. In the meantime, vitamins are worth a try, as suggested in the previous post. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=245759

Back
Top Bottom