Seems like pigeons don't need as much poop maintenance as chickens? Is that right?

purslanegarden

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2016
I'm used to chickens, quail, and ducks. For those birds, we are often learning that we should provide a way that soaks up or dissipates bird poop. This includes having a caged bottom or straw in the coop / chicken house.

However, for pigeons, so far from what I've seen, many people build the pigeon house with plywood floors...and then that's it. Smaller cages where the birds live, may have caged floors, but for what is being called a pigeon loft, it seems like there is no additional bedding material or lining needed in the loft. Is this because pigeons living in a loft, are often outside more than inside?

Just wanted to clarify that point about pigeon poopage in their living quarters. Thanks!

I'm not sure, I just got my first pigeons (about 1 month old squeakers) a few days ago, and they have already crapped in pretty much every place they can in my loft lol. I do not have chickens though, so I can't compare.

From what I have seen most just use a scraper and a dust pan to remove the poop on a regular basis and don't use shavings or bedding. One guy cleaned up twice a day! And he used a shop vac to get all the dust and feathers as well. Excessive exposure to the dust created by pigeons can cause lung disease in pigeon keepers and some wear face masks in the loft to prevent this. Keeping the loft clean helps alot to keep birds and owner healthy. Take this FWIW, my info comes from watching a MILLION you tube videos about pigeons. LOL

I forgot about the other method used by @Hokum Coco and others who put something on the floor like empty feed bags or a tarp. Then when dirty its just lifted, removed outside and shaken/brushed off and replaced.

Last edited:
@purslanegarden I found this just for you
frow.gif
!
Dr Lamberton explains the real nitty gritty on pigeon poopage! I admit, i just can't resist a thread devoted to poop
hide.gif

Thanks for the info on the poop! In the last few days, one of the important things I've observed is that the pigeons don't seem to poop into their food and water bowls as much as chickens and quail do. Even with tons of space all around, I'll often find droppings near, around, or even on the food and water containers in the chicken coop.

Yes I did get some, but it happened suddenly so I didn't have their home prepared yet. They are in my chicken coop for the time being, inside their own cage. It was my investigation into how to make them a pigeon house or loft, that let me see many people didn't mention about how to protect the bottom of the cage/coop/loft from bird poop.

I cover the loft floor with a tarp. When my tarp get soiled I exchange it with a second tarp.

Nest boxes
Plus I lay nylon mesh Purina chicken feed bags in my mating pair's nest boxes.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry same for the tarp..

I have 67 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

Last edited:
Yes I did get some, but it happened suddenly so I didn't have their home prepared yet. They are in my chicken coop for the time being, inside their own cage. It was my investigation into how to make them a pigeon house or loft, that let me see many people didn't mention about how to protect the bottom of the cage/coop/loft from bird poop.

Cool! I looked for pictures of your new birds on the 'Post Your Pictures' thread....(hint, hint
big_smile.png
). What kind are they?

I used to just have concrete floor.. and scrape up the poop once a day. But as I got more birds it became a boring thing to do.

For the last few years I have a deep layer of sand on the coop floor.

Its much better for me. I only need clean it about once every month or so.... by simply picking up any feather that have collected in the corners, and using a fine mesh plastic square basket (attacked to a broom handle) to sieve through the sand to remove the dried up poop... which I then tip into a big bucket (then use the dry poop to feed my garden.

I found my birds (which are mostly white) stay much cleaner with the sand.. as they never have to step in their wet poop. As soon as the poop lands on the sand it gets coated with sand grains and dries out. Also my birds feed are spotless.

With the sand method is ESSENTIAL that the sand remains dry. If any rain or moisture got into it then it woudl clog up and smell.. at it woudl be impossible to clean.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom