Segregating the boys from the flock

Little crack heads flew the makeshift coop already . Flew right up and out and over these guys haven’t flown out the whole time they been in there (6-7monrhs old now). Ugh I am going to have to cull these 5 birds and save my girls stress, they won’t even come out of the coop now. Problem is wife refuses to eat our own chicken :( and I can’t keep waiting her out showing her the problem it’s causing to change her mind.
Damnit this is a pain in the ass
*vent/rant over*

Little crack heads flew the makeshift coop already . Flew right up and out and over these guys haven’t flown out the whole time they been in there (6-7monrhs old now). Ugh I am going to have to cull these 5 birds and save my girls stress, they won’t even come out of the coop now. Problem is wife refuses to eat our own chicken :( and I can’t keep waiting her out showing her the problem it’s causing to change her mind.
Damnit this is a pain in the ass
*vent/rant over*
Just because she won’t eat it doesn’t mean you can’t. Do you have a pressure cooker (Instant Pot or other brand)? You can make all kinds of yummy goodness with one of those and a chicken. I have put tough old hens in there that come out nice and tender. Great for shredded chicken to use in anything that calls for chicken. Soup, stew, salad, hot dish, tacos, fajitas... A crockpot also works. Cook ‘em low and slow. (If you don’t know how to cook, now is a great time to learn.)

I would put an old cloth onto the pen where they can see each other now to blind the fence.
And advertise online /at the local shop.
  1. people can order young homestead roosters or Halloween 🎃 roosters for lets say $ 4,- a piece?
  2. What I couldn't do , but is a way to make some profit if the wife doesn’t mind and you dont mind culling them : Sell them as tasty homestead young rooster meat for at least $ 8,- a kilo (or another a neat price for good meat around where you live).

Thank you for all the ideas. I am at my wits end. All 5 flew the pen last night and I found 4 in the coop with the flock and 1 up on the shooting rest of my tree stand for the night. I have everyone separated AGAIN but it’s dance I have to do with them everyday is getting old faster than I expected.

surprise chicken dinner may have to happen and than after all is gone and ate up I’ll let everyone know it’s back yard KFC style 😂

Back
Top Bottom