1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seizure and Sudden Death?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AmericaunaMama, Jan 15, 2013.

1. AmericaunaMama

AmericaunaMama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    I was out with my girls for a while this afternoon, and everything seemed fine. I looked out the window a few hours later and Sharon, my favorite girl, was sitting on the gate with her back end up and her head low. I pet her for a while on the gate, she would close her eyes and respond to the attention, but her comb looked more pale than usual. I assumed because it was early evening she was just ready for bed. We moved the coop recently so they have needed some help getting off to bed, so I carried her over to the coop. When I tried to put her on the nesting bar, she hit the ground (2ft. down) and didn't move. I picked her up and held her for a while until she passed out and her head fell. About two minutes later (at this point I was a bluthering crying mess) she screamed and convulsed, flapped her wings and fell to the ground. I picked her up and it happened two more times until she finally just died.

They were in perfect health, organic feed, completely scrubbed and cleaned coop a week ago (shoveled out daily), energetic all day. She has been laying normally. One of the other girls layed a shelless egg last night at bed time, but it was her second egg of the day so I can't imagine it's related.

Any idea what could have been the cause? I am wrecked. My dad brought me a bag of deer corn this afternoon left over from his hunting last week? The food I give them is whole kernel, too, so I don't suspect anything, but who knows.

Thanks for the responses.

2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    There is much speculation about what causes this to happen, and all I know for sure is it's one of those dirty tricks that Mother Nature plays on us. There would have been nothing you could have done to prevent it...... :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by