Seizure? Merek's?

KWVT

Songster
May 6, 2017
Vermont
5-6 week old chick. Yesterday she was doing something weird with her neck. It looked kind of like she was trying to throw up or something. She also kept laying down and sometimes that involved one foot curling up. I isolated her and gave her electrolytes and today she's angry with me (trying to bite me - not peck, actually bite) but acting normally.

Any clue what could be going on? Is this Marek's? I'm freaked out now that I've read about Marek's, but it looks like the incubation period is 4-10 weeks, so she would have to have come with it from the hatchery.

It wouldn't let me upload the video, but here it is:

I can call the vet and see if they can see her, but any ideas of what this could be?

Very short video, can you feel it's crop? Looks kinda big, did it eat a lot? Almost looks like it's trying to adjust it. How long has this been going on? Chicks will throw themselves on the ground to Sun bath or dust bath, perhaps that's what yours is doing. Generally Mareks starts with a bad leg, or with them being uncoordinated.

Today the crop felt basically empty. It happens yesterday, but today seems normal. She was inside so it wasn't sunny and it wasn't a dust bath (I did had two going for outside dust baths and another doing it in shavings inside).

When she laid down she was upright and not rolling, but she had one foot all curled up and would half stand up..move a little and lay back down.

If it's Mareks it will worsen and there's nothing you can do about it, so watch and wait and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom