These are November beetles. They usually eat the vegetation on living fenceposts, but are an occasional pest on citrus trees because they eat citrus flowers and thus inhibit fruit set. The time to collect them is right at dusk while using a flashlight.

And they drive the chickens absolutely WILD!!
IMG_20201119_094516411.jpg

Guess who decided to have the first hatch of 2021?

This hen has been very dedicated with a clutch of eggs since around Christmas.

Today, she showed up with some results!

A note is that this is a repeat performance after a mite disaster last year. A permethrin treatment (with a lice shampoo intended for human children) a couple months ago was the trick that encouraged her to make that broody commitment once again. Dedicated is the word...heard her clucking to her eggs yesterday.

This time, she was successful and hatched ~5 chickies!

The weather for the past three months has been mostly rainy and damp. Here’s hoping that she keeps the little cuties warm and dry!

P.S. I gently selected the eggs. I let her have the blue and green ones!
C9EAAB04-FF8A-4D5B-9A8B-BFA89B83C10F.jpeg
DA34962B-A459-45A2-87DD-61F2704C6075.jpeg
8C1EA58F-0890-472E-A07F-69EC246A87D8.jpeg

Last edited:
These are November beetles. They usually eat the vegetation on living fenceposts, but are an occasional pest on citrus trees because they eat citrus flowers and thus inhibit fruit set. The time to collect them is right at dusk while using a flashlight.

And they drive the chickens absolutely WILD!!
.View attachment 2416913
We also snatch those bugs off our fruit trees for the ladies. They go nuts! They follow us from tree to tree talking like crazy 😂

The brown hen won't let me get close enough to take a picture of her 7 little fuzzies, so I took a couple pictures of our blue rooster! He has filled out some lately. Anybody want to suggest a name for the blue rooster?

Who's that hen beside him? She is the roosters' absolute favorite, although I rarely see them actually mounting her. She lays a beautiful blue egg.

IMG_20210131_085836164.jpg
IMG_20210131_085837533.jpg

The brown hen won't let me get close enough to take a picture of her 7 little fuzzies, so I took a couple pictures of our blue rooster! He has filled out some lately. Anybody want to suggest a name for the blue rooster?

Who's that hen beside him? She is the roosters' absolute favorite, although I rarely see them actually mounting her. She lays a beautiful blue egg.

View attachment 2510103View attachment 2510104
Is that rooster hen-feathered?

Back
Top Bottom