Selectively naughty rooster…

mommab85

Chirping
Jun 5, 2023
I’ve been researching my head off trying to figure this one out but I can’t really find any information and I’m very new to raising chickens of my own. I have a mixed age flock of 25 (24 hens/pullets and a single rooster). About a week or two ago, my gentlemanly roo became not so gentle with one single hen. She used to be his “favorite” lady but he suddenly started keeping her away from the rest of the flock. He’s a 6 month old light Brahma who is the absolute sweetest guy to people and normally to all of the girls. The main group of ladies he’s with (including the one he’s bullying) are the same age and all were raised together from a day old by me. The remaining pullets are 6-10 weeks old and he doesn’t pay much attention to them. For some unknown reason he just started chasing her away and sort of grabbing her by the back of her head (and not like he does when mating). It’s like he’s just slinging her head and then he goes at her feet first real quick, almost like he’s literally pushing her away. He’s not causing feather loss or drawing blood and he still mates her but she’s afraid of him and can’t hang out with the rest of the flock because he won’t allow it. I put him in rooster time out yesterday, where he still is, but will that be enough to correct his behavior you think? I’m just at a loss because he’s such a gentleman with everyone else. Why the one, single hen? Btw, they free range on a good sized property and have many hiding places. They’re only in the coop (25’x20’) at night where, surprisingly, he’s not too mean to her. If she catches his eye from across the yard though, he races towards her. Sorry for the lengthy, scattered post but I’m trying to be sure to include as many details as possible! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve been researching my head off trying to figure this one out but I can’t really find any information and I’m very new to raising chickens of my own. I have a mixed age flock of 25 (24 hens/pullets and a single rooster). About a week or two ago, my gentlemanly roo became not so gentle with one single hen. She used to be his “favorite” lady but he suddenly started keeping her away from the rest of the flock. He’s a 6 month old light Brahma who is the absolute sweetest guy to people and normally to all of the girls. The main group of ladies he’s with (including the one he’s bullying) are the same age and all were raised together from a day old by me. The remaining pullets are 6-10 weeks old and he doesn’t pay much attention to them. For some unknown reason he just started chasing her away and sort of grabbing her by the back of her head (and not like he does when mating). It’s like he’s just slinging her head and then he goes at her feet first real quick, almost like he’s literally pushing her away. He’s not causing feather loss or drawing blood and he still mates her but she’s afraid of him and can’t hang out with the rest of the flock because he won’t allow it. I put him in rooster time out yesterday, where he still is, but will that be enough to correct his behavior you think? I’m just at a loss because he’s such a gentleman with everyone else. Why the one, single hen? Btw, they free range on a good sized property and have many hiding places. They’re only in the coop (25’x20’) at night where, surprisingly, he’s not too mean to her. If she catches his eye from across the yard though, he races towards her. Sorry for the lengthy, scattered post but I’m trying to be sure to include as many details as possible! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I should add, she’s extremely submissive to the rooster even to the point where she stays in her squat position for a solid 10 minutes after he either attacks or mates her. Maybe it’s simply fear, I don’t know.

I think I would let the rooster out, and separate the victim for a while. There is a theory, that the flock will send away a chicken that is unwell, and that chickens can pick it up before people do.

If he is doing well with the other chickens, I would work with that. Sometimes, when you pull a victim, he will pick a new victim, and if so, he should be culled. I am not a believer in training roosters, very small brain, and no one lives with their roosters, too much time without human intervention. If he and the other hens are working well together, you might consider letting the victim go. For whatever reason, sometimes a bird just does not fit with the flock.

If you strongly want this hen, you could wait several weeks, get her strength back, and add a hen to her. Get that pair to work out and then add the pair back in. Once there was a poster that separated one for several months, and when she quit getting attacked all the time, she got stronger and more confident, she went back into the flock and did fine. If you don't have a set up for this, let her go.

Always solve for peace in the flock.

I think I would let the rooster out, and separate the victim for a while. There is a theory, that the flock will send away a chicken that is unwell, and that chickens can pick it up before people do.

If he is doing well with the other chickens, I would work with that. Sometimes, when you pull a victim, he will pick a new victim, and if so, he should be culled. I am not a believer in training roosters, very small brain, and no one lives with their roosters, too much time without human intervention. If he and the other hens are working well together, you might consider letting the victim go. For whatever reason, sometimes a bird just does not fit with the flock.

If you strongly want this hen, you could wait several weeks, get her strength back, and add a hen to her. Get that pair to work out and then add the pair back in. Once there was a poster that separated one for several months, and when she quit getting attacked all the time, she got stronger and more confident, she went back into the flock and did fine. If you don't have a set up for this, let her go.

Always solve for peace in the flock.
Thank you for the advice. I let him out and he walked right past her with no issues so far but he was pretty excited to simply be free. I can definitely separate the hen as we have plenty of space. If more issues arise I will go that route. I would hate to get rid of her but I do have relatives with flocks of their own that she could join if necessary. She almost seems to be taking to our youngest group of chicks (6weeks) so maybe it’ll all work out eventually. I guess time will tell. Thank you for your input. I like asking for opinions on here vs anywhere else. You guys are all very full of great advice and information without being nasty about anything!

You have a teenage boy in a cage with a bunch of teenage girls. This is all normal and plucked heads or necks can happen during this first year of sexual maturity.

look at the hens…those with red combs are nearing egg lying which means they are now ready for mating. Those hens not ready have light pink or beige combs.
if the hen is getting over bred use a wire dog crate on the coop put the hen in there and feed and water there, release her a few hours a day this way she is still integrated in the flock but gets a break from this teenagers constant breeding attempts. All part of growing up. As more hens mature out the less breeding pressure will be on this hen like a teen age girl who developed early……she gets full attention from the boys. ;)

You have a teenage boy in a cage with a bunch of teenage girls. This is all normal and plucked heads or necks can happen during this first year of sexual maturity.

look at the hens…those with red combs are nearing egg lying which means they are now ready for mating. Those hens not ready have light pink or beige combs.
if the hen is getting over bred use a wire dog crate on the coop put the hen in there and feed and water there, release her a few hours a day this way she is still integrated in the flock but gets a break from this teenagers constant breeding attempts. All part of growing up. As more hens mature out the less breeding pressure will be on this hen like a teen age girl who developed early……she gets full attention from the boys. ;)
That actually makes a lot of sense because she was first to lay out of the 7 that are old enough. He’s the sweetest boy (usually) so I hope this raging hormone year passes quickly! Thank you!

That actually makes a lot of sense because she was first to lay out of the 7 that are old enough. He’s the sweetest boy (usually) so I hope this raging hormone year passes quickly! Thank you!
No worries things will settle down, that first year can be a challenge. Keeping a rooster is great for protection and renewal of the flock…..but watching the drama unfold is not for the faint of heart. Once more girls mature the less pressure will be placed on the early maturing hens. Good luck and hang in there this too shall pss.

She might be getting broody which changes their behaviour (i.e. no longer wanting to be mounted) and an inexperienced cockerel might not be able to read the signs.

Although he should be able to recognize and treat a broody hen accordingly, just as the mating as well is initiated by instinct/hormones.

Similar issue, I rescued a silkie that ended up being a roo. He was pampered as a baby and my favorite. I have 22 girls, mixed age and breeds, about 6-7 currently laying, the rest about 6 months old. The roo is unknown age as he came to me as a rescue. The girls started beating him up when he started to try and mate them, so he was separated to recover with his two silkie sisters. They are fine together. I let them free range during the day, and now he won’t leave my poor polish hen (6 months, not laying yet) alone. She is afraid to come out of the coop. I am going to try and keep him separated 24/7 (not just nights) for a few weeks and see if that helps! Any advice is appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom