Selenium/vitamin e paste/ Nutritional Yeast

Skibum

Songster
May 6, 2022
I have a chicken between 2 and 3 months. She presented with a limp about 2 weeks ago I gave her water with nutridrench for about a week and have switched back to normal water because I read it can lead to diarrhea if you don’t give them a break with normal water. She does not seem to be improving. No symptoms of bumble foot or mites.

She has not been improving and it seems that the weakness has been switching legs. She was supposed to be vaccinated for for Mareks.

I bought some Selenium/Vitamin E paste for goats and gave her about a pea sized amount when it arrived today (I’ve seen this recommended but am open to advice).

I have Braggs nutritional yeast at home (I don’t eat cheese) should I consider sprinkling this on her food?

If she's limping, then you need Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) for leg health which is not in found Poultry Nutri-Drench.

I suggest that you get some human B-Complex and give her 1/4 tablet daily.
I suppose you can use nutritional yeast, but I have no idea how much you should give daily.

She's been eating a nutritionally balanced chick starter crumbled since hatch? Try the B vitamins and see if those help.
2-3 months is often when symptoms of Marek's show up, so it is a possibility even if vaccinated. The vaccine can help reduce the chances of tumors, but it doesn't stop infection from the virus.

Hopefully you will see improvement once you start the correct vitamin therapy.

I have been feeding scratch and pec brand chick starter. The other chicks I raised her with have not showed any symptoms

I have been feeding scratch and pec brand chick starter. The other chicks I raised her with have not showed any symptoms
Is that the loose feed or a crumble?
Sometimes if it's loose feed, chick(en)s will pick out their favorite things and leave the rest, which could possibly cause a deficiency.

It’s a loose feed. Ok that made sense. I tried with the nutritional yeast and a very small amount of the paste.

Back
Top Bottom