Self-Blue Cochin Bantams

Pics
Maybe the pics are off color, but Zoe had no splash markings on her. I am sure she was a Lav.
hmm.png

Quote:
What makes me say splash is in the 2nd pic it looks like she has a few dark feathers here and there and then the 3rd pic shows alot of dark blue in her wing feathers and her dark feather shafts are very clearly seen.

A lovly girl and I'm sure a sore loss but still a splash.
wink.png

Quote:
What makes me say splash is in the 2nd pic it looks like she has a few dark feathers here and there and then the 3rd pic shows alot of dark blue in her wing feathers and her dark feather shafts are very clearly seen.

A lovly girl and I'm sure a sore loss but still a splash.
wink.png

Agree with PFF, she looked to be a splash.

UGG! Ok so I soooo was not going to let these guys go but I just had my husbands old horse offered back to me for really cheap and I want to figure out a way to get her back for him without him knowing soooo I am going to be offering a few of my black split for Self-Blue (Lavender) stared pairs among other thing for sale. First pair is here

Last edited:
Quote:
Nothing in the f3's laying yet (this year will be the f4's). Haven't set up any breeding pens just yet, but plan to in at least large fowl next week in preparation for Crossroads. I don't know if I'll start hatching Self-Blues now or wait a little.

I did wash one of the Self-Blue (f2) hens I kept the other day when I was washing up some birds for a show this past weekend. I'll post a couple pics once I get a second to snap some photos.

2010 Hatch f3 pullets. All have yellow legs/feet. I have about a dozen f3 pullets that I'll be using for breeding in 2011. I need to hatch at least 200 to get 50 Self-Blues and I'd like to grow out at least 50 f4 Self-Blues.
15970_dscn0777.jpg
15970_dscn0775a.jpg
15970_dscn0774.jpg
15970_dscn0772.jpg

2010 Hatch f3 cockerel. This is the best typed cockerel that I raised in the splits this year. As luck would have it he has the wrong leg color. He has Black legs and White feet (bottoms). I have to use him because of his type (type first), and I'll breed him to yellow legged females, but given that 25% of the chicks will be Self-Blue when breeding splits together, and the fact that he has incorrect leg color, out of the 25%, half of those will have yellow legs and half will have incorrect leg color, so for any breeding headed by that male only 12.5% give or take will be yellow legged Self-Blues. I also have three yellow legged males that I kept for breeding. Their type isn't as good as this male, but they are the three best out of around 20 that I culled through. I'll use both yellow legged males and this male for breeding.
15970_dscn0760.jpg

Two of the f2 Self Blues that I kept. I only have four actual Self-Blues at the moment. If breeding goes as planned I should have a bunch more soon. Both of these birds have incorrect leg/foot color. I have two other pullets with yellow legs/feet, but their type isn't as good. Although the one other pullet has really nice feather quality. You can see that both of these birds show stringy cushion feathers which comes with the Lavender genes apparently. Hopefully the crosses to the Blacks will help out with feather quality.
15970_dscn0756.jpg
15970_dscn0758.jpg

*Yes, I did use the word lavender
smile.png
. Just to describe the genes though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom