Self-Blue Cochin Bantams

Pics
Mr. Ree :

The birds from that cross will be all Black right? And then I would need to cross them back over Lavender/SB to get the actual color?

~Casey

Bred back together, you will get 25% lav (self blue)​

Interesting question. I bred a lavender cochin hen to a mille fleur project cochin rooster. All offspring were boys......of course
he.gif
However if i bred one of these boys back to the lavender hen....would the leakage evident in the boys come through in the next generation?

I have 3 boys to choose from....all look very similar but 1 has the best type by far. Can't tell type from the picture since the boys were squashed in small pens but you can see the coloring.

downsized_1016000944.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Very interesting project. I got lucky with my Mottle eggs I got to help improve my Mille color and type - 1 cockerel and 4 pullets. They have fantastic feathering on their feet. They are 6 weeks now and I haven't got pictures yet! This morning I hears the cockerel try to crow - too funny.

Mr. Ree :

The birds from that cross will be all Black right? And then I would need to cross them back over Lavender/SB to get the actual color?

~Casey

Yes, when Frizzled Black X Self Blue = 50% Black\\SB and 50% Frizzle Black\\SB
50% Black\\SB and 50% Frizzle Black\\SB= would result in about 25% Self Blue with about have of those being frizzle(12.5%).​

I finally got some pictures of the chicks that will start my Lavender project. -
1st 3 pics; growth pics of pullet from GA, hatched 9/24
63162_dscn3220.jpg
63162_dscn3243.jpg

[im
63162_dscn3276.jpg
g]

pics 4 and 5; 4 chicks hatched 10/29; 2 pullets from GA, 1 cockerel from MD and 1 cockerel from NY
63162_dscn3291.jpg

63162_dscn3284.jpg

pic 6 shows the 2 cockerels, the one on the right, from NY, has softer down and developed his comb and wattle later.
63162_dscn3285.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm the guilty one who told the OP to post the pic of her pullet on this thread and see what everyone thought. I originally thought she was Splash, but I asked the OP if those were Splash markings I was seeing, or was it just the camera lighting of the pic. She said she went out and took a second look at the pullet, and felt the color was uniform with no Splash markings. I thought the pullet deserved another look from those more experienced with Self-Blue than myself.

Back
Top Bottom