Self-Blue Cochin Bantams

Pics
I would love to get a pair or trio of these and cross over a Black Frizzle to get my own SB Frizzle Cochins. Have admired this color for many years just as alot of other people and enjoyed looking at pictures of birds from other countries. Couldnt imagine anyone but Tom being able to do this amount so quickly and efficiently. Hope to add this color one day, but right now I am really going to focus my efforts on bettering the Red variety and working on my White Frizzles. Amazing birds Tom, very good job.

~Casey

I saw them at Crossroads and love that they finally look like cochins. Still work to do but their type is better than any hatchery color which says something! Loved the rooster.

Quote:
You indeed did luck out with a great location. They did attract lots of attention,me included. They already are of better type than some Cochins that were shown. Congratulations!
Craig

Last edited:
Sorry I know the thread is slightly dated ,but wanted to add on this:
Self Blue is the accepted color, "lavender" is the pet name

Self blue is a variety name and lavender is the gene, not a pet name.
Im not sure if this was discussed, previously​

Last edited:
I think he was talking about when people refer to the variety itself and not the genes. Lavender is a "pet name" that people have commonly given SB birds. I think thats what he was talking about at least.

~Casey

Thank you for clarifying Casey.
There is so much misconsception w/i the silkie breed I'd hate it to leak out to other breeds and new breeders since BYC's has such a diverse readership:)

Self blue is a variety name and lavender is the gene (name)

This is true, but a lot of people have taken to using lavender incorrectly for the self blue variety, in several breeds. The APA and ABA have official recognized color descriptions for self blue. Recognizing a variety with the same color, but giving it a different name is going to cause confusion. The ABA has already ruled on this. Any variety with that color, if presented for recognition will be recognized as self blue, or not at all, no matter what people are calling it.

Pet people who are non-exhibitors are still using lavender as the term for this variety in their birds, and that's fine, but that's where that pet name for self blue will stay.​

Quote:
This is true, but a lot of people have taken to using lavender incorrectly for the self blue variety, in several breeds. The APA and ABA have official recognized color descriptions for self blue. Recognizing a variety with the same color, but giving it a different name is going to cause confusion. The ABA has already ruled on this. Any variety with that color, if presented for recognition will be recognized as self blue, or not at all, no matter what people are calling it.

Pet people who are non-exhibitors are still using lavender as the term for this variety in their birds, and that's fine, but that's where that pet name for self blue will stay.

Yup. Confusing. That's why there is no intent on my part of ever using the "L" word when we put the Self-Blue Cochins in for a qualifying meet.

Self-Blue bred to itself, produces itself. That's why we call it Self-Blue. That's not confusing.

Yup. Confusing. That's why there is no intent on my part of ever using the "L" word when we put the Self-Blue Cochins in for a qualifying meet. Good for you. In that case I'm behind you all the way.

Self-Blue bred to itself, produces itself. That's why we call it Self-Blue. That's not confusing.
Apparently it is. Any sold color is technically called self. This term is used in a lot of other fancies. We have solid blacks and solid buffs in poultry, but we don't refer to them as self black or self buff, even though they do reproduce themselves too. The poultry fancy has determined that blue shall be considered the laced variety, and it occurs in several breeds. We refer to self blue using the full term, so that there will be no confusion with (laced) blue.

Back
Top Bottom