Self Blue (Lavender) Silkie Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bacres, Mar 30, 2010.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    me either [​IMG] Im sorry doesnt mean Im right just means I can see other colors in them..

2. trisha19

trisha19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Grassflat, Pa
    Quote:I know they are not now, people had just wanted to see how bad I got ripped off.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    From the standpoint of phenotype (appearance), #1 is a blue, #2 is a splash (blue in the background), not sure on #3 or #4, #5 is blue, not sure on #6. I will not say that they do not carry two copies of lavender--they might, but they do not meet the lavender (self blue) phenotype of an even shade of blue throughout the body. #1 & #5 have dark hackles, #2 shows splashes. For the others I am giving the birds the benefit of the doubt--that camera angle or lighting or something else causes the birds to look as if there might be a gene other than lavender influencing the colour/pattern.

4. trisha19

trisha19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Grassflat, Pa
    Quote:Ya they are pretty messed up !!!! [​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:No, that is the blue gene making its presence known. If the birds have a black, rather than a blue base, the hackles will be as diluted as all other feathers.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I know they are not now, people had just wanted to see how bad I got ripped off.

They are very pretty though:)

7. Gordonhillfarm

Gordonhillfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Maine
    Thank you sonoran , I don't know how you keep this all straight . But I sure am glad you do. And I'm really sorry that this happened to you trisha19 , I can feel your disapointment thru the computer screen . I personally wouldn't want to see how bad someone was ripped off , but I am grateful to you for showing us the pics , I now know some of what to avoid when trying to purchase this picticular color . I still am not sure if this was unintentional or not , but will say that if not Karma will catch up with who ever . I always feel a little better knowing that , maybe not helpful to you . I'm waiting on Lavender eggs to arrive in the mail . I'm hopeing for a good hatch , will see . Again sorry Hun -- although I don't know you -- sending you a big hug . Tammy .B

8. brenTx

brenTx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Young started pullets and my best AOV hen

9. bacres

bacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    I'll take all of those birds in the first picture and I will take the pullet off your hands too. [​IMG]

10. CheshieChick13

CheshieChick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh wow Bren! I am even more excited about picking my Lavs up on Sunday [​IMG]

I can't wait!!! [​IMG]

Natalie,

My broody has 8 out of 12 of your eggs developing!!! I am so Stoked! [​IMG]

~Steph

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by