self-blue pullet--what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickies, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Chickies

Chickies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Northeast Florida
    any educated guesses on this one?
    [​IMG]

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  3. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

i have one that looks llike this and i think ? it is a blue andalusian, mine is a roo and he is smaller than all of my pullets! LOL , he lays down and "fans" out and he is very smart looking !!!!! ha ha .
    His name is ray charles.

4. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Awwww I have one that looks a lot like that. Everyone told me Blue Andalusian as well.

[​IMG]

I am hoping she turns out to be a girl. She was my 'rare' chick from MMH. I guess you can't tell by the comb color and size in this breed like others, because all the pics I have seen of pullet Blue Andalusians have large red combs similar to a males.

5. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

oh , good to hear that , i just figured mine was a roo by the size of the comb, maybe he/she is a pullet? i hope so.[​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    What a beautiful little hen.
    My MMH rare was this... but alas, it died.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Appears to be an Andalusian pullet. BTW it's not a Self Blue it's an Andalusian Blue. The difference being if you mate 2 Self Blues all offspring will be blue-if you mate 2 Andalusian Blues some offspring will be blue, some black and some splash.

8. Chickies

Chickies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Northeast Florida
    BTW it's not a Self Blue it's an Andalusian Blue. The difference being if you mate 2 Self Blues all offspring will be blue-if you mate 2 Andalusian Blues some offspring will be blue, some black and some splash.

I thought "self blue" was just a color. I do have another hen that i'm pretty sure is a blue andalusian, and she has darker lacing and a dark head, whereas the chick i asked about has no lacing--I thought that was called 'self blue'?? (BTW I could be just really confused--see the "New Egg" designation!)​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by