Self-sufficient households; help!

Quote:
Well, for some, it's probably better if the man doesn't touch the laundry!
ep.gif

My husband learned to do laundry for himself, he was a bachelor for 45 years, so he had to take care of it himself. He's pretty good at it. Now the ex, no way, he messed it up so many times I banned him from the laundry room!
gig.gif

Well, for some, it's probably better if the man doesn't touch the laundry!

Yup. I would have tiny clothes that all looked mysteriously close to the same color. I do laundry and he does garbage. That way we both get to deal with dirty, stinky stuff and my clothes are protected.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I have been thinking about baking my own bread, but I don't know how. I really want to though!!

you totally can do it! i have used a recipe for Amish White Bread and it is forgiving, easy and uber yummy~It is VERY sweet, like yeast rolls from a Chinese restaurant. very dense and heavy. you can cut the sugar down, but don't leave it out, yeast needs it to feed on.

Recipe:
2 C. Warm water (110-120 F)
2/3 C White sugar
1 1/2 TBLS Active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C Vegetable oil
6 C Bread flour

1. In large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Add yeast and stir. Allow to 'proof' until it is foamy. (15 minutes in a warm spot. ie: oven with only the light on...not heat is perfect)

2. Mix salt and oil into the sponge. (that is the yeast mixture) Mix in flour, 1 C at a time;
knead on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes. Place in well oiled bowl and turn dough to coat. Cover w/plastic wrap or damp tea towel. (not terry cloth) Let rise for 1 hour or until double in size. (again, oven w/ only light on OR turn oven to 'warm' for 20 seconds and turn off..works great!)

3. Punch down dough. Knead for a few minutes. Divide in half. Shape into loaves and place in well oiled/buttered/sprayed loaf pans. 9x5. Cover w/ plastic wrap or damp towels again. Allow to rise 30 minutes more or until dough rises 1" over pans.

4. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool on rack few minutes, then turn out and cool completely.

This dough can be used for cinnamon or sweet rolls, dinner rolls etc!

and here is one for ya'all...not only does my husband help with laundry if i need, he IRONS! he does ALL the ironing! and he is awesome at it. which works out very well!, why you ask? because i am HORRIBLE at it:p

My husband is the only one in the house that does iron. I hate it!!! He even starches and irons his shorts and tshirts to mow the lawn. He is very exact about it. Thats what the army can do for you!

Miss Jayne, I think that I will have to try that! Do you know if the recipe will still work if I use natural sugar? I have to buy some loaf pans too.....

My husband is the only one in the house that does iron. I hate it!!! He even starches and irons his shorts and tshirts to mow the lawn. He is very exact about it. Thats what the army can do for you!

I can relate to that, though not the ironing to mow part. My husband was in the Marines and he does the ironing, not me. I have always hated ironing, then when he joined the Marines it was a match made in heaven.
love.gif

I hated ironing and now I don't have to I bought a tobi steamer and it does everything from clothes to curtains.

woot.gif

Going to attempt making bread I have all the stuff I just haven't gotten up the nerve.

I scared

Quote:
to the best of my knowledge science-wise sugar is sugar is sugar. it may alter the color of the bread and the taste slightly, like brown sugar is mapley etc. if you don't have loaf pans, make loaf shapes and let it rise/bake on a cookie sheet. like home-style bread maybe! or rolls!

Back
Top Bottom