Self-Sustaining Meat Chickens?

I have yet to cull my first bird. I am an animal lover of all kinds. We have everything well almost. We have wolfers, coons, turtles, hedges, chickens and ducks. And my husband wants goats. So if anyone has any good advice for a first time culler I would greatly appreciate it. Everyone (my family) says I won’t be able to do it. But I am going to have to. However I am trying to talk myself into it since I have 8 that are ready lol
Oh boy! We just started processing birds this year. It took a while to work up to it. Like you say we are animal lovers also, in addition to being slightly over emotional. My daughter (then 17) made me so proud, I cried. We knew going in that it's what we wanted to do. But getting the guts to do it took extra time because of my anxiety. My hubby will not participate. :plbb

My suggestion is use a cone, slit the throat and walk away while the jerking is going on. It isn't as easy to cut as they show in the movies and arterial blood sprays everywhere. We tried skinning for our first ones, but you won't have to go that far. My cone is homemade out of a vinegar jug, so free! And I even made 1 out of a 2 liter for smaller birds. We also do it first thing in the morning before they've had anymore food. That gives overnight for the crop and intestines to empty a little for a cleaner cull.

My first time went terrible! Didn't get the cut deep enough and had to do it again. :sick But it is a learning process. The second time wasn't as bad. And now, many times later... I still don't like doing it, but I now have the skill to do so without fear of extra suffering on the part of the bird. So it has become a part of the job.

Our first few times the birds were harder to skin. Come to find out they gain more connective tissue with age. We thought they needed to get big enough for my daughter to reach her hand in. I do the culling and she finishes the processing since bones breaking grosses me out. Now we have started culling at the correct younger age and it goes much faster and easier. Turns out body cavity size was less of an issue when the carcass was more flexible and over all easier to work with. We were worried about having the right set up or anything else. Just do it! The job stinks, but I feel so honored at the end knowing we are providing for our family and NOT supporting big chicken. :tongue

You can do it! And you are in the right place for support. :thumbsup

I have yet to cull my first bird. I am an animal lover of all kinds. We have everything well almost. We have wolfers, coons, turtles, hedges, chickens and ducks. And my husband wants goats. So if anyone has any good advice for a first time culler I would greatly appreciate it. Everyone (my family) says I won’t be able to do it. But I am going to have to. However I am trying to talk myself into it since I have 8 that are ready lol
It is especially hard the first time, but if you want to do this, know that you CAN do this. I'm not sure if you are looking for advice on the mechanics of the actual killing/processing or for emotional support. There are tons of good threads as well youtube videos on the mechanics. We use a very sharp hatchet and stump, making sure to get the bird calm, before making one quick swing. The mechanics get easier and faster with experience.

As far as the emotions, it is always going to be a difficult and honestly I don't think it ever should be "easy." My best advice for coping is to first recognize that what you are doing is much more humane that buying factory-farmed eggs and meat. Once you've decided when your butchering day will be, make your peace and say your thanks and prayers the night before. When butchering day arrives, put on your game face and stay calm and focused. It's not going to help the birds to have you visibly upset, apologizing to them, etc. Let them have their last few minutes of their life as relaxed and normal as possible. Good luck!

I also want to add that I am sooo thankful for my processing experience come time any of my birds are suffering from injury or disease! Trying to cull with no prior experience is difficult. I found someone who will process for me and I don't feel a bit of guilt about not doing the deed myself. I pay $5/bird.

Since this IS about meat chickens... My processor did my Marans at 16 weeks old. That was a VERY BAD age for processing. He said they had hundreds of pin feathers about an inch deep into the skin and so he had to skin them. So we will try a later age for my next batch. He also said that the Silkies had a very strong chicken flavor. So even though they presented beautifully and was tender, his family didn't prefer the meat. We have yet to try them, but if we don't like it... may use it for stock or dog/chicken feed!

He said they LOVED the NN Turken though. He said they had very thick skin and an extra layer of fat on the neck and in the rump area and were extremely easy to pluck! :drool They also happen to grow to nice size within the 16-20 weeks and the birds themselves were very laid back and calm.

I have a feeling that I will try many breeds still. IF our next round with Marans doesn't go really well... I might try Speckled Sussex. The last cockerel I had was beautiful and good demeanor. :love

SOOOO many options! :love :pop

Thanks! I'm in north Texas, I am in the planning stage in getting chickens. My husband is going to be building the coop very soon. Thanks again for your help.

I'm setting wheaten marans eggs this week as fertility test. I may have a lot, a few or none at all. I live just south of McKinney. Let me know if your interested.

Dixie Rainbow a.k.a. Pioneer are a hybrid that grow out a bit slower than the CXR, and do not attain the same size. They free range well, and reach harvest size around 12 weeks. They also make nice layers, and I've found that the second generation grows out nicely, and bear similar markings, even when a DR roo is not kept for breeding purposes. If I was looking to breed my own meat birds, I'd try these birds. The biggest draw back that I can see is that the cockerels are massive, and IMO are too large to keep in a mixed flock.

Axe and stump with two nails to hold the neck is the best way. I’ve done the killing cones ( poorly) unfortunately and the axe was more merciful and quick in my experiences.
Guess we all have different preferences and experiences. I can just see myself swinging and hacking my leg off! :hmm Do the nails retain the chicken while it flaps?

Guess we all have different preferences and experiences. I can just see myself swinging and hacking my leg off! :hmm Do the nails retain the chicken while it flaps?

Answering for BC it holds the neck out so you don't chop your leg off. I have used it. It is not a bad way. You hold the legs or have them tied together so you can hang it to bleed..

I am also not a fan of the killing cone. I will try it this year with a PVC pipe clippers and see how it happens.

Using a cone and PVC cutters works wonderfully. Just put the blade to the spine, not the throat, and once you start cutting don't stop for anything. Sometimes they don't cut all the way through the skin on the far side, but as long as you put the blade on the spine side, they die right away...and all you have to do is tug to remove the head.

I wrap the bird in an old dish towel to control wing flapping. Holding on to the towel ends at the front of the bird with my left controlling the swaddled bird. I face the bird away from me. Place the neck between the nails and pull gently to stretch the neck. I then pick up the axe which is always kept away from the bird's view ....check where all my fingers and toes are and swiftly chop. I usually am aiming more spine also...so it is an immediate disconnect for pain...etc. the bleed out is fast also. I keep towel wrapped to help with the tremors and flapping. Because I can't just let them flop around, even though I know they are gone essentially. It's just easier on me to hold them through it and the least I can do, for doing this to them.

My two axes are kept away from DH and DKids. This is their only use. They are sharpened by a local sharpener before the big day.

Back
Top Bottom