Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics
I clip one wing on my scovies after big molt in the fall. My drake would never leave his girls..
Do I need a drake? I mean, I know the obvious reasons, but I was thinking more along the line of acquiring one once my ducks were a year older and could help me raise a gentleman drake. Raising a good cockerel just about whipped my butt.

My best pet ducks are my Muscovy ducks. They are very tame, easy to feed, never have leg problems, and usually live a long time. They lay a decent amount of eggs and are good broodies.

My runners and runner crosses are wild, they want nothing to do with me. Same with my call ducks, and all other quacking ducks,

When I go out to feed, it's always that Muscovies that I am tripping over, never the quackers.
How do you deal with their permanent broodiness?

Do I need a drake? I mean, I know the obvious reasons, but I was thinking more along the line of acquiring one once my ducks were a year older and could help me raise a gentleman drake. Raising a good cockerel just about whipped my butt.
I love my drakes one Muscovy 2 Runner but there is a challenge to having them.

I they're for pets I would absolutely go for runners. They are the most energetic, fun loving, and personality filled birds that I have ever had. They are the sweetest, sassiest and most fun to watch of any of the duck breeds I have owned. Runners are absolutely phenomenal.
Yes, i love my Runners too, but depending on how you define "pet-duck", Runners wouldn't be my first choice. Mine absolutely dislike to be touched and Curiosity would rather rip her leg out than being touched by me and be freed.

I they're for pets I would absolutely go for runners. They are the most energetic, fun loving, and personality filled birds that I have ever had. They are the sweetest, sassiest and most fun to watch of any of the duck breeds I have owned. Runners are absolutely phenomenal.
@FathertoFeathers feathers
please tell us about your Runners.

Back
Top Bottom