Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics
I LOVE my sweet welsh harlequins! I didn't do much research until AFTER I had some eggs in the incubator but the more I read about them, the happier I become. Now that they're all grown up, I can say.... I totally lucked out with them!!

They're quiet (for ducks) unless something is wrong.
They don't fly (for me was a plus)

"I believe I can... Nope, can't fly. But like to show of my pretty wings anyway!"
View attachment 2034956

They are not aggressive ever - with me or each other - and are even somewhat shy, and yet their silly dancing and duck antics are a ton of fun to have around.

"Are those peas?"
View attachment 2034959

They're descendants of Khaki Campbells and got the trait of outstanding egg production from them.
And, they're beautiful! (Spoken like a proud parent, I know, but.... can't help myself! 🤣)
Just a year old flock?

I LOVE my sweet welsh harlequins! I didn't do much research until AFTER I had some eggs in the incubator but the more I read about them, the happier I become. Now that they're all grown up, I can say.... I totally lucked out with them!!

They're quiet (for ducks) unless something is wrong.
They don't fly (for me was a plus)

"I believe I can... Nope, can't fly. But like to show of my pretty wings anyway!"
View attachment 2034956

They are not aggressive ever - with me or each other - and are even somewhat shy, and yet their silly dancing and duck antics are a ton of fun to have around.

"Are those peas?"
View attachment 2034959

They're descendants of Khaki Campbells and got the trait of outstanding egg production from them.
And, they're beautiful! (Spoken like a proud parent, I know, but.... can't help myself! 🤣)
If I were to ever take on another breed these are what I want.

Please be sure to let us know what you decide. As you can tell were very passionate about the breeds we have. But most of us can say we love our ducks. Messy yes, but to me so worth it. They bring a calming happy time to our lives.
Definitely! Y’all are the only ones who even care care what ducks I choose. My DH? Nah, nope!

This is what’s about to go down:
DH: Hi honey, I’m home! What have you done all day.
ME: <looking around> Who me? :confused: I’m not sure what you mean. What would you like for supper, dear?:oops:

I’ve gotta get my butt in gear...but I’m not through here. These decisions are extremely important, right?

yup they have claws - as they fly and roost in trees if you don't get them penned before dark.
Only the hens fly though the drakes are too heavy for any serious flight.
I got a call one time that my duck was in the middle of a well lit intersection as she thought traffic was a lesser evil than being in a strange place and not seeing possible predators.
Repeated efforts to get her to follow me home kept ending in her circling back to the streetlights. I abandoned the net and shined a spotlight directly over her head and she walked all the way home just as if the flashlight beam was a leash. When we got home I just lifted the light to illuminate the duck pen and she walked right to the door to be let in. I must have looked stupid walking down a dark road shining my light on a walking duck but it worked.

Hi Mimi :frow
Thinkin abouts some dux huh? I'll go back and read what's been posted so far. 😊
:oops: Yes, but please don’t tell @duluthralphie. He will attack my babies. :lau

Yay, please do. However, I am 2+ hours behind on this thread and I haven’t really put it aside today.

I am so grateful - and surprised - for all the replies.

Theres a local gal here started selling mandarin ducks, she sells hens in the summer. Would i ever love to get some but you need a covered a run and i dont have the property cleared off enough yet
Screenshot_20200224-181611_Kijiji.jpg

Theres a local gal here started selling mandarin ducks, she sells hens in the summer. Would i ever love to get some but you need a covered a run and i dont have the property cleared off enough yetView attachment 2034966
OMG, I would love to have some of those!

Theres a local gal here started selling mandarin ducks, she sells hens in the summer. Would i ever love to get some but you need a covered a run and i dont have the property cleared off enough yetView attachment 2034966
Those are like the top of the line when it comes to duck eye candy. Even Ralphie can't deny that.

Back
Top Bottom