Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics
Honestly now 100% completely honestly i think the best ducks are Kahki Campbells
Then
Pekins
Saxony
Silver appleyard
i ordered rouens and runners for the spring so theyll probably be my favorites then

edit - its like picking soap, theres endless options but whatever is available will work!

Last edited:
Have you considered muscovies ?
They do not quack , do not need a pond , can fly but don't always avoid predators (I lost some to coyotes). If they interbreed with any other breeds of ducks the babies are sterile so no possible breeding population of mixes. Just make sure you don't buy "mules" (crossbreeds) to start with. I bought several hens at an auction and they were marked Muscovy but when I released them from their crates they QUACKED !
Their eggs are delicious as well as their meat. The only duck not descended from a mallard.
Very interesting and a lot of what you’ve posted I have just been reading.
  • That present day ducks are descendants of either mallards or Muscovies.
  • And about the mules and the hinnies.
But I don’t know about a duck that doesn’t quack. That’d be kinda like a yellow tomato or yellow watermelon - it just ain’t right!

This is true and I do understand the whole “separation ideal” of people and animals. Ducks and chickens were definitely created for meat and eggs; however, in the grand scheme of choosing an animal to not only eat, but spend time with, which “hatchery” breed would be most desirable to be around?
Very interesting and a lot of what you’ve posted I have just been reading.
  • That present day ducks are descendants of either mallards or Muscovies.
  • And about the mules and the hinnies.
But I don’t know about a duck that doesn’t quack. That’d be kinda like a yellow tomato or yellow watermelon - it just ain’t right!
for me it was just the opposite I started with Muscovy in 2004 then in 2016 my Muscovy hatched us some Runners wow that was something went to not even knowing we had ducks to hearing quacking all during the day. I love it though it livens up the party. I am just thankful I haven’t close neighbors. And even though Muscovy are not Mallard derived they are still ducks. Very much ducks!

I love my calls for sure. But I do think my Cayuga ducks are a little more interactive and fun to have waddle around the yard with.
The calls are less messy. . until you get up in numbers. 😂
Screenshot_2020-02-24-15-24-32.png
Screenshot_2020-02-24-15-22-40.png
Screenshot_2020-02-24-15-21-59.png

I haven't owned other breeds so I can't speak about the differences.
I think runners look kinda stupid :oops:
I'd probably like them if I had them though.
People really seem to like their Pekin ducks for pet purposes. But it sure does seem like the majority of bumble and leg issues posted here are Pekin.

I have 2 rouens. a Pekin, a K/C hen plus a Runner drake. Except for one of the Rouens they all eat out of my hand and can be picked up. The drake likes the top of his head petted and the Pekin likes her throat rubbed. I suspect the shy rouen won't eat out my hand because the K/C is always charging her when she gets close both before and after treats. Next on my list of wants is runner hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom