Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics
yup they have claws - as they fly and roost in trees if you don't get them penned before dark.
Only the hens fly though the drakes are too heavy for any serious flight.
I got a call one time that my duck was in the middle of a well lit intersection as she thought traffic was a lesser evil than being in a strange place and not seeing possible predators.
Repeated efforts to get her to follow me home kept ending in her circling back to the streetlights. I abandoned the net and shined a spotlight directly over her head and she walked all the way home just as if the flashlight beam was a leash. When we got home I just lifted the light to illuminate the duck pen and she walked right to the door to be let in. I must have looked stupid walking down a dark road shining my light on a walking duck but it worked.
And I can picture that just like I was watching it right now. But I think of it being more precious than funny. I just couldn’t find that “Precious” emoji. :lau

You haven't said if you are going to buy day olds, eggs,or juveniles. I think this matters to some extent.
Oh yes, I haven’t, have I? I just thought you could read my “bird brain,” I guess! 🤣🤣

I don’t feel comfortable hatching duck eggs yet and I don’t think I could find all the breeds I want in fertile eggs...plus the not having all females to begin with. My terrible luck with raising the male bird would jinx me fo sho!

I will be purchasing day olds in hopes the Littles will still be sleepy and not see any hatchery worker faces. And then when I open the box on Day 3 they will see my excited face and love me...instead of being scared to death of me! :fl

Theres a local gal here started selling mandarin ducks, she sells hens in the summer. Would i ever love to get some but you need a covered a run and i dont have the property cleared off enough yetView attachment 2034966
It looks like a little stuffed animal and I’m afraid it’s too much of a pretty boy for me! :lau

18 pages in one day... TLDR
So I'l just agree with anyone who said Runners, partially agree with anyone who said Ancona, and disagree with anyone who said Pekin.

Those are the 3 breeds we have. I'm currently trying to sell my Ancona and Pekin while hatching more Runners.

I absolutely love my Runners. They have wonderful personalities, are easy on the fee, and great conversation starters.

Just young do wait as hormones come into play and Ducks change quickly.😟
There's more??? :lau The farm where i got them had a 3 yr old drake that was a sweetheart as well, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed mine take after dad.

They are gorgeous. Are all of the pictures ducks WH?
Yes, I snapped these last night, I think. I've considered adding others (cayuga) and might someday, but they're it in the duck department for now.

18 pages in one day... TLDR
So I'l just agree with anyone who said Runners, partially agree with anyone who said Ancona, and disagree with anyone who said Pekin.

Those are the 3 breeds we have. I'm currently trying to sell my Ancona and Pekin while hatching more Runners.

I absolutely love my Runners. They have wonderful personalities, are easy on the fee, and great conversation starters.
Well Trim, Anconas are most likely on the no-go list with Pekins on the short list. I am still on the fence with Runners though. But who knows, I might just try one...or do I need to have two so they’ll be able to see eye to eye? 😂

Back
Top Bottom