Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics
I believe Hoover hatchery doesn't ship ducks from Iowa either.

:goodpost: My last batch of ducklings (the pekin girls) I ordered from Murray McMurray since their location was not too far from me. Well guess what? Little did I know that they did not ship from their location but instead from CA, the complete opposite coast from me. I found that out when they got delayed in shipping and were almost 2 days late. So these are excellent pointers for choosing a hatchery.

I just started with ducks last summer. 1 had 2 pekins, and they were so entertaining. They'd also follow me around. Sadly, they succumbed to predators.

I also had 2 muscovies. They were a lot more standoffish, and didn't have the adorable butt wiggle. If you do handle them you definitely have to wear gloves. Their nails are razor blades! The beauty of them is that they fly, and can easily escape predators. They disappeared in January. I'm thinking that they've flown elsewhere for the winter. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they return once the snow disappears.

Hey, no worries! I did not think your reply was the least bit rude! :hugs

1) when considering a hatchery, I would pick one as close to me as possible as this will hopefully make the shipping time shorter and less stressful.

2) pick hatchery that actually hatches the ducks at their facility. Some hatcheries don't actually hatch the duckings, they contract through other hatcheries

3) since you are considering buying day olds, I think this rules out the Muscovy, because I don't think any of the commercial hatcheries sell Muscovies due to some laws and that they don't ship well.

if I were going to buy from a hatchery, I think I would buy from Metzer, but that is only because I have been there and they are close to me.
Metzer Farms have started to sell Muscovies:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/Muscovy...U&affiliate=undef&BirdType=Duck&Breed=Muscovy

Back
Top Bottom