Selling chicken at farmers market

Morgaine

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Texas
Does any one know where I could start looking for laws and rules about selling processed chickens at the farmers market? I've been trying but I just must not know what to put into the search engine. I am in Texas btw.

Last edited:
Quote:
Start with the Local Health Department, you will need some kind of permit. You will need a million dollar liability insurance... pretty standard for farmers markets. Then you may need to be in contact with the Texas Department of Ag. They will guide you in the right direction.

This should be federally done... that way it's the same across the board instead of each state having their own rules. Talk to your Market Manager for the particular farmers market that your wanting to get into and they have good information and numbers for contacts which will make you life easier.

Good Luck..

Thanks Jeff. I talked to the market manager, he knew where to direct me for getting the permits for the town, he wasn't sure what I should look into as far federal or state inspected.

I'm already a vendor at the market (I make soap), but next year hubby and I are planning on expanding our offerings and whole chickens are one of things our market does not have. We have a lot of vendors, but not really any meat or dairy ones. So we are looking to make our own nitch.

State Department of Agriculture interprets and enforces the rules for that in this state. They are dead serious about them being followed too. I suspect your Dept of Agriculture will know the ins and outs.

Back
Top Bottom