Selling eggs for consumption in Florida?

i take my eggs, when i have them, to a small animal auction in geneva on friday evenings.
technically, they are sold as "hatching eggs". the auction is prohibited from selling them as anything else.
*shrugs*
what they do with my "hatching eggs" after they buy them, is frankly, none of my business.
wink.png

No Florida law expert (though I am a little familiar with the horrible building codes y'll have - blah) by any stretch of the imagination, but I've had to get around a few Uncle Same laws here recently with one of my "hobbies".

When Uncle Sam puts a restriction on something, say the 3000 laying hen limitation, if you only have 2,999 chickens you do not have to comply at ALL. Of course this doesn't side step Florida's laws, but it'll get you around Uncle Sam.

Additionally, the "free eggs" will work, but it can bite you in the bum. The regulation is for selling eggs, so if you're not selling them you don't have to comply, but they my require you to offer an option with giving them away. Meaning, your "friends which are purchasing the empty cartons" would have to have the option of bring their own cartons, otherwise you're selling eggs again (even though the eggs are free and they're actually purchasing a carton, if there's no other way to get them you're selling eggs and cartons).

I'm sure there's a way around the law if you put "free", or "animal feed", etc. on the sign, etc. then simply tell the "friends" the actual story of why they're labeled that way.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yeah, This post is what made me go in the direction of being a chicken breeder vs an egg farm or meat farm. I can then sell eggs for "hatching" rather than eating but what people do with them is their choice.

Caroline

That's why I am even paranoid of offering some truly free eggs to my neighbours. I think my neighbours were quite a troppers to deal with cackadoodling and "egg songs", so I kind of feel compelled to offer some eggs. But I am afraid that if they get sick, even from eating something else, there might be a lawsuit on the horizon.

So, if you give out free eggs, carton or not, how do you deal with potential litigation? Especially if you sell eggs, that might warrant even more liability.

Oh, the world we live in...

Hey Floridian Chicken hobbyist...

I too have been looking up this preposterous laws.. OK just remember the ELECTION IS COMING... We did have a Food Freedom Act in legislation. So us local farmers could sell, not only our eggs but also our produce to consumers directly..

http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/aa/aa-26feb2010.htm

This
measure was sponsored by State Senator Baker... But it died in the Committee on Agriculture.. With the Aid of Charles Bronson the agriculture who claimed it was to dangerous to our food supply to allow farmers to sale directly to consumers.

http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/Vie...le=index.html&Directory=committees/senate/AG/

If you want go out and vote for someone who will help us with this. None of the Committee members are in my area.. If they were I would most likely go egg their campaign headquarters
duc.gif
. But seriously I'm not one to go campaigning everywhere but I think people should pay attention to this. This explains why in Florida we have to buy oranges from California and Venezuela.

I personally think Florida has some very messed up priorities...

Just thought you would like to know what is up with the law...

Christal

Last edited:
It is a shame... Just a shame....
Funny,
The USDA and the FDA say they do food inspections on food that is SOLD to others to protect the consumer. However, you can do school/church bake sales or pot luck dinners and anybody can put anything in a pot or tray that won't be inspected and hundreds of people can be exposed to that? Go figure..

Originally posted by AndrewH:

"No Florida law expert (though I am a little familiar with the horrible building codes y'll have - blah) by any stretch of the imagination, but I've had to get around a few Uncle Same laws here recently with one of my "hobbies".
When Uncle Sam puts a restriction on something, say the 3000 laying hen limitation, if you only have 2,999 chickens you do not have to comply at ALL. Of course this doesn't side step Florida's laws, but it'll get you around Uncle Sam.
Additionally, the "free eggs" will work, but it can bite you in the bum. The regulation is for selling eggs, so if you're not selling them you don't have to comply, but they my require you to offer an option with giving them away. Meaning, your "friends which are purchasing the empty cartons" would have to have the option of bring their own cartons, otherwise you're selling eggs again (even though the eggs are free and they're actually purchasing a carton, if there's no other way to get them you're selling eggs and cartons).
I'm sure there's a way around the law if you put "free", or "animal feed", etc. on the sign, etc. then simply tell the "friends" the actual story of why they're labeled that way.
Good luck!"

Solution:

"Free Dozen Eggs with the purchase of an egg carton"

Simply REQUIRE the purchase of a carton to get the 'bonus' free eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom