Selling eggs in Marysville, Washington?

redfeather

Songster
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
Hey there!

I've been trying to talk my parents into selling some of the eggs from our free ranged mixed flock of BO's, RIRs, welsummers, EEs and two blue cochins.

If we could just sell a couple dozen every month for about 4-5$ a dozen (people would pay it here too), it would pay for their feed.

But, last year we got this weird audit form, asking 1001 questions about our chickens, and any employees we might have attending them. The form made it sound like we had a battery farm consisting of several thousand chickens when we really only have 18 x_x

It asked all sorts of questions about how much money we make off of them, and what percentage of the employees caring for the chickens were female and whether the employees had internet access.

It was all very bizarre, but now my parents are afraid we are going to get slammed with all sorts of fees/permit requirements/taxes or something if we end up admitting that we sell eggs (we hadn't sold any, so we were truthfully able to say that we hadn't made any money off the birds). We can't lie if the form comes again.

Anyone ever heard of something like this? What do you do?

Is this the right place for this? I don't even know where to find this information out...

I live in Olympia, and have randomly received forms like that too, even before I owned ANY animals other than my cats. I don't bother filling them out - they are not required although formatted to look like they are. Your parents are worried for no reason based on all the people I know who sell a few eggs.

Hmmm... I'm going to have to look into it. I wish I had had a better look at the stupid thing. The hardest part will be convincing mom.

In the interest of full disclosure I should tell you I'm against Big Business running our government. From the research I've done, these types of forms are feelers for finding out what individuals/private citizens are doing to avoid buying from ConAg and Monsanto and the like. Filling them out is merely giving them information to be used to regulate our private right to feed ourselves.

Ok, off the soapbox now. Seriously though, it's not illegal to sell a few eggs to pay for the chicken feed. Not yet, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom