Selling hatchlings...is this unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Dec 9, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I've been selling a lot of what I hatch, locally.

I have 5 ancona ducks on craigslist and a guy wants to buy some for his sister for her kids for Xmas, and has asked if he can buy them today and "store them here" till closer to Xmas. Is it unreasonalble for me to say YES, but ask for $2 extra per duck to help pay for feed & electricity between now and then?

Afterall, they older they get, I bring prices up to account for exactly that.

Money is tight right now in our house, and the extra feed without compensation is a pretty big deal.

2. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Not unreasonable at all, explain that the price goes up per age. That's how it is everywhere. Also make sure he understand...non refundable.

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Yeah cause what happens if one goes belly up?? Right?

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I hold chicklets till people are ready but I do adjust the price to compensate for the feed [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Sorry, but if one dies before he picks it up, you owe him a refund. You've got custody of them, you are supposed to keep them safe.

He doesn't get a refund if he decides he doesn't want them after you've held them, and you must have that in writing with his signature, because he is going to try to change the rules if he changes his mind, you can count on it.

Personally, I would not sell live animals to be given as Christmas presents to kids. But yes, I would expect to get some extra to cover their feed if I held them.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  6. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I don't see any problem with parents giving their own children pets as gifts.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I think what Oregon Blues is afraid of is a phenomenon where parents view live animals as a form of toys for their kids. It's a pretty tragic thing that happens to bunnies and chicks around Easter. Once they get a few weeks old, and are less cute, they are thrown out like trash.

However, in this case, it sounds like someone who isn't looking for a cute little fluffy toy animal for the kids. By X-mas, the ducklings won't be in their super cute phase anymore, so that makes this less likely as an impulse buy.

And to answer your original question, I believe that you are entirely reasonable in asking for more money for feed and housing. Good luck!

8. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I've also been in communication with the guy for almost a week, so it doesn't seem like an impulse buy. I always ask/inform customers that the wee ones will need a heat lamp etc.

9. Peep lePleaser

Peep lePleaser Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Its not at all unreasonable to ask for more. After all, if you sold them to someone else, they might be picked up immediately and you wouldnt have the extra cost of feed etc. Essentially you're "boarding" HIS chickens.

10. TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    I have done A LOT of business as a breeder of different animals, this would be very simple for me. Yes, I would sell him to them, I would price them at the time of purchase as if they were the age at the time he's picking them up. THE DAY he buys them, they are his and his responsibility, no refunds, exceptions being a predator kills them or neglect. If there's just an unexplained dead bird, it happens, you are taking the risk and boarding his animals at this point, normally there is a charge for that so word things kindly, be nice and accommodating but make sure you cover your drake feather at the same time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by