Selling male Coturnex quail ready to process or breed

Ginamat

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2021
I’m not sure if this allowed. I have been breeding my Coturnex quail for meat and eggs, and really having fun with it. I would like to sell my meat birds locally , but have no idea how to do it. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined. I saw from your other thread that you are in North Texas. If you modify your profile to show that the information will automatically pop up. That can come in handy for a lot of different reasons.

Each state has its own laws and regulations when it comes to selling meat, some fairly severe. I have no idea what they are in Texas. As long as you don't cross state lines and stay below a pretty high threshold the federal agencies probably aren't interested in you. Your county or city may have additional rules. It can get pretty complicated. There are a few people on here that do that but I can't think of anybody in Texas.

What kind of volume are you talking about? That could be pretty critical to know what regulations apply. Are you planning on selling the birds live or processing them yourself. Different regulations apply. Will this be a steady supply or an occasional event? Some options might be to a restaurant or at a farmers market. Not sure what kind of business plan you have in mind. Will you want or need liability insurance?

On a small scale you may be able to advertise at work or maybe at church. Maybe talk to the people the the feed store, They often have a bulletin board where you can post notices. You might chat with your county extension office.

Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined. I saw from your other thread that you are in North Texas. If you modify your profile to show that the information will automatically pop up. That can come in handy for a lot of different reasons.

Each state has its own laws and regulations when it comes to selling meat, some fairly severe. I have no idea what they are in Texas. As long as you don't cross state lines and stay below a pretty high threshold the federal agencies probably aren't interested in you. Your county or city may have additional rules. It can get pretty complicated. There are a few people on here that do that but I can't think of anybody in Texas.

What kind of volume are you talking about? That could be pretty critical to know what regulations apply. Are you planning on selling the birds live or processing them yourself. Different regulations apply. Will this be a steady supply or an occasional event? Some options might be to a restaurant or at a farmers market. Not sure what kind of business plan you have in mind. Will you want or need liability insurance?

On a small scale you may be able to advertise at work or maybe at church. Maybe talk to the people the the feed store, They often have a bulletin board where you can post notices. You might chat with your county extension office.
I already got a license to breed and sell live quail in Texas, as long as it is less then 1000 quail per year. I will only process my own to eat at home. Thank you so much for the information you shared, it gives much more to consider

Back
Top Bottom