Selling or giving eggs away - Reusing store egg cartons o.k?

ArizonaDesertChicks

Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs
15 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Glendale, AZ
My friends and family have been saving grocery store egg cartons for us. I have about 15 so far and my chickens are still 1 1/2 - 3 months away from laying. When we finally do get enough eggs to sell the extras, is there any reason I shouldn't use the used egg cartons given to me from the grocery stores?

We reuse store-bought egg cartons, too.

We share our eggs with friends and neighbors and always tell them, "This is a magic egg carton. Return it when it's empty and it'll fill back up and come back to you!".
wink.png

Dawn

Most of these stupid laws we run in to were created to protect a small number of people at some point in the past...

Some cousin who was a poultry farmer...

A mayor's brother who didn't like a competitor...

A special interest group with a strong lobby...

Denying you the use of the word LOCAL sounds to me like some big conglomerate doesn't want individuals to have a marketing advantage. Time for you to get creative.

I would use phrases like...
Homegrown
From Your Neighborhood!
Made in _________(Insert your town, neighborhood or county name here)

You can also use a LAID ON date (kind of like the beer "born on" date)

In fact, if you know who laid it, label it as Laid on ____ by _______ and include a picture of the chicken who laid it!
big_smile.png

I bet that would increase sales from people who appreciate local, fresh foods

I'm not arguing any of that, but whether you like the reasons for the regulations or not they still exist. It is when people keep thumbing their noses at them and something does happen that the powers-that-be feel the need to slap on even more ridiculous regulations and make it even more difficult for everyone. As I stated when I put the paddles to this thread, I leave my eggs out on the counter for weeks and still eat them because I know I can, the average consumer does not know this. If I want to "legally" sell eggs in my state and be as free as possible from a possible frivolous lawsuit, or lose my rights to sell eggs and all the other products that help keep us afloat then a .30 cent egg carton is a small price to pay for that and to keep state inspectors off the backs of my neighbors who sell eggs as well. Not all can be blamed on corporate greed when people choose to ignore simple and basic laws and regulations, whether we like or agree with them or not. Get out and vote, or lobby for a change if you disagree, but in the meantime, we should abide by them so we don't ruin it for everyone.

If you are legally selling eggs, then you are beholden to the health inspectors of your state and you'll have to bend to their will in order to stay in business.

If you are selling eggs on the side and choose to be paranoid, that's your choice of course.

I advocate making decisions based on science and common sense. My common sense tells me to ignore "simple and basic laws and regulations" when they don't make scientific sense. Sorry but I am not part of the herd and resist excessive governmental interference.

If you are legally selling eggs, then you are beholden to the health inspectors of your state and you'll have to bend to their will in order to stay in business.

If you are selling eggs on the side and choose to be paranoid, that's your choice of course.

I advocate making decisions based on science and common sense. My common sense tells me to ignore "simple and basic laws and regulations" when they don't make scientific sense. Sorry but I am not part of the herd and resist excessive governmental interference.

Taking into consideration that you don't know the scope of my entire operation and what all is exactly at stake over a simple egg carton, I'll chalk your use of the word "paranoid" and the insinuation that I'm "part of the herd" as ignorance on your part, and will also refer you to my signature line.

My common sense tells me that it's not worth risking all I have built just to prove I know eggs better than a state inspector. Most people don't know I am required to put eggs in a new carton to sell them, but I know that and my integrity is worth much more than 30 cents. Eggs are the least profitable thing I have going on, I sell them to get people to see everything else.

I also love to see people choosing to buy local and from a small business instead of the big chain stores, so whatever I can do to keep small businesses alive. You keep on resisting your way, and I'll resist mine, but you are naive in assuming I just cow along with something simply because I don't share your affinity for breaking the law to prove a point that could put everything I have at risk.

I have posted a link to state regulations for the sake of those who may not know what their state requires, for those who do not care, you are free to continue ignoring those regulations. I'm proud to say I fought to preserve your freedom to completely ignore the law if you choose.

We are a small time hobby farm that sells scores of eggs. We are located in FL.
We are required to place a lable on our cartons stating NOT USDA INSPECTED OR GRADED.
We basically have a steady stream of REPEAT buyers. The same folks who have been returning weekly/bi weekly. We really don't go out of our way to advertise to take on more customers.
OUR SYSTEM:
Mostly our eggs are stored refrigerated in FLATS. When our regulars come they almost always bring ample cartons. We load them up accordingly and return them to owner. A perk to that system is that the owner of the cartons keeps them clean! We have had others who just donate and give us a bag full and some people are in the habit of cracking open an egg and placing the empty dripping shell back in the carton! We trash them if we receive one.

Our donation cartons are placed spread out on a table in the sun, visually inspected for yoke. Then we have a spray bottle filled with 60% Listerene / 40% water. We mist the cartons and sun dry them.
We print labels out with of printer with our farm name, address, phone number and of course.. Not GRADED or USDA inspected.. and of course... Thanks for supporting our family farm.
They are stacked up in sealed cardboard boxes waiting to be put into service.
We don't sell to stores or set up at the local farmers market. We have been blessed to have a steady stream of faithful followers who return because we offer a high quality product at a low price from not having to charge extra for brand new containers. That extra 28-50¢ off the sale, makes a huge difference in our neck of the woods.

Back
Top Bottom