Selling the House.. Wanna help?

Def keep the same colour scheme in the open areas that flow into each other. You can switch up with one room having more of one colour and an accent in a different colour, then switch that is an adjacent room, but keep the wall colours pretty close. Maybe make one wall lighter, but it needs to be the entire wall from corner to corner, no changing mid-wall unless you are talented enough to fade them together (VERY difficult).

I would make sure your white trim is nice and white (the ceiling too) makes the room look new and crisp

As for the other colors, if you are doing a yellowish green, keep in the yellowish (warm) tones. For a yellow, I really liked the HD Behr Tea Cookie color, yellowish tan.

I I would also keep in the lighter tones so the place looks bright and inviting.

Totally agree with the yellow and sage green -- such peaceful, invitiing colors.
Something you should focus on is the smell. When you first walk into the house, what do you smell? If there is any wall paper up, get rid of it! Wall paper holds odors like nothing else!
The house layout is good. I'm glad you are removing the couch, that will make the room feel bigger.
Something I did in my house when I painted my ceilings was I added some of the wall paint to the white to give the ceiling a slight tint. I hate white paint! If you do this, make sure you write down your ratio of white to wall color in case you have to mix more.
Hope it sells quickly!

Quote:
That wall needs something like an old window or wreath.

cool idea! get and old window and put a nice photo behind each pane of glass. old and new together is fun, and interesting to look at.

An old window! How neat!!!
I saw some at the local Antique market in town.. If they arent too high Ill go get one. I love how old glass has inperfections. I wish windows were still like that..
Anyways.. If I find 3 (I heard odd numbers are more calming to buyers) should I use 3, if they arent overly large.
...and what kind of pictures would I stick behind it?

Last edited:
Here are more pictures to give you an idea how "open" the house is
(and please excuse the garbage.. Yesterday was trash day and the can is still at the top of the drive
roll.png
)
IMG_20110826_074750.jpg

IMG_20110826_074926.jpg

IMG_20110826_075034.jpg

IMG_20110826_075116.jpg

I was thinking of doing the laundry room a darker grey so it isnt so noticeabe..
Good or bad color?
..and I talked to the SO about doing the living/kitchen/dining all one color and he wasnt so keen on the idea.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Would you leave it when you moved? I mean, the things you are putting there are to make the house feel like it will work with the new owners' stuff, right?
Then I would put some pictures of your boys, and goats, and chickens. Make it yours. Odd numbers are more interesting than even, and if you can find a three paned window that would work, but if it has six panes, put in three pictures. Fiddle with it until it feels right. Sometimes 'full' is overwhelming, and sometimes it is 'perfect'.
You just have to play with it. You can take your photos to the copy store and have xerox copies made big, then you won't have a lot of money in it while you are messing about trying to find the perfect fit. you can also make collages of photos behind each pane. OR,
wink.png
press some nice leaves and put them behind the panes. It will look like fall with your colors. you can change them out for flowers in the spring, or paper snow flakes for winter. (I need one now.)
My Aunt did one that was painted on the inside of the glass with vines and flowers.

Ive read over and over again to stay away from personal pictures and items. The seller gets caught up looking at them and has a hard time seeing themselves in the house if youre all over it.
I do like the idea of leaves though! Maybe I should wrap some old vines around the window as well..

Edited to add:
I found a really neat site that shows all kinds of things you can do with them. I really like the idea of "rubbing" words on them!
http://www.robomargo.com/windows.html

I REALLY love this idea. I can probly get a sheet of paper and soak it in tea then crisp it in the oven and then rub the words on there.
This idea was submitted by Soov. An old window frame has been dressed up with a french feel.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom