Semi-Ethical Omnivorism

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Joe Jordan, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Joe Jordan

Joe Jordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Def. - practicing a diet that includes (among other items) the consumption of free-range eggs.

What else do ya'll know 'bout the backyard chicken lifestyle?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Chicken TV = watching your chickens for hours, entering a peaceful state of mind, where the time passes by so quickly- you are amazed you have been sitting in the lawnchair for two hours watching chickens.

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    We decided the birds were bored with the pasture being cut suburban grass, mostly fescue varieties. So we started gardening. We planted anything we saw cheap seeds for. If we didn't like it, the birds got it all.

The tomatoes did really well. Slugs were an issue. Any fruit that had a hole, or had fallen off the vine, the chickens got it. We had plenty, they had plenty, and we didn't use chemicals to stop the slugs and other bugs, just split the harvest between "chicken quality" and human.

There was a red root thing.. not a beat or a radish. Not sure what it was. The chickens LOVED the greens off of it. They ate the greens from tomato plan trimmings too.

We eat better from helping the chickens eat better.

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand

Sorry this question is off topic, but what kind of duck is that in you photo? Its lovely colours and I love the yellow bill!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I know chicken and eggs taste yummy..:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by