Sentinel coop modifications

So if my hens only go into the coop for egg laying and sleeping, why does the 4S SQFT rule of thumb even matter if they have adequate roosts?
Because in many cases chickens do go into the coop other than laying and sleeping. I've had to lock mine in during flooding, and I keep my dry feeder in there so they're wandering in and out. Also for integration purposes it's more difficult to integrate more birds in tight confines.

You're also lacking ventilation, and a smaller coop overall has less space to add it.

As far as how to expand a small coop like this:
To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

I also do want to note that by expanding the coop you'll need to expand the run as well, your current run might be okay for your flock but with a coop conversion you're going to lose the space under the coop which leaves you with only a 40 sq ft run for 5.

Hi! I'm new here and just built this same coop. I've noticed my chickens seem to slide on the slick pull-out tray. I have pine shavings in there at the moment but it just slides with them. Any advice?

Hi! I'm new here and just built this same coop. I've noticed my chickens seem to slide on the slick pull-out tray. I have pine shavings in there at the moment but it just slides with them. Any advice?
Cover the surface with something like a rubber mat or stall mat cut to fit for more grip, or heed the issues the OP had and consider eliminating it entirely by converting the whole thing into a coop.

Back
Top Bottom