Separate Roosters?

ChickPeas

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Iron Station, NC
How many roos are in your flock? How are they housed if you have them separated?

Danielle, my alpha out of a flock of 11, has forced Justine, another roo away from the flock. Danielle tolerates the lower three roos, Louise (bantam), Suzanne (BA) and Iris (bantam), but chases Justine away for some reason.

Should I pull Danielle or Justine out? Does he need a partner to live with?

And when are chickens sexually mature or considered full grown-a year?

I want to do right by these guys and want to keep everyone safe, but I don't want them to be lonely, kwim? Is it possible to have couples live in peace?

It really depends on your birds attitudes. I have 1 giant cochin roo in the free range flock consisting of about 35 hens all together. He tolerates 3 other bantam males that are about 6 months younger. The Bantam roos are all of similar age too. 1 bantam roo has lived in a family group with his 3 hens all winter they stick together mostly. The second roo has 1 hen that is his and they also do everything together. Now the third roo who lost his mate has now taken 3 females from the 2nd roo and is working on cohersing a few away from the giant. It's really quite funny to watch. However I also have 14 other roosters that all have individual pens, they can see each other and some seem to get along as long as that fence is between them, but I'd never turn them out together. Also I find that those 14 males get along better if everyone has a girl or everyone does not. In other words if you want to start a fight give the neighboring bird a girl and they'll fight over her. And as far as maturity goes by 6 mos they are quite capable usually.

At this time I only have 1 Roo and he is kept in a seperate pen in the coop and is free range during the day. It has worked well for us.

Quote:
1 roo to a coop is the genral rule of thumb.

I currently have a main laying flock and I got rid of my roo because he was mean. I am hoping to grow out a buff orp cockeral I hatched to take this position by fall. I have also smaller coops for other breeding plans - a blue orp pair, a splash orp pair growing out and will keep a black orp roo for another small flock.

Quote:
They all have their own housing away from on another. A pen in the barn and a run area where they rotate and take turns for free ranging.

Quote:
Which one will make the best flock roo? keep that one in and move the other one out. either give him his own little coop with a couple females or find him a new home.

Quote:
Males can and will and do mate starting around 2.5 - 3 months. They may not be fertile that early but then again they may be. The heavier breeds can take a little longer but by 6 months they are generally fertile and actively mating the females. At one year the young cockerals are the called a Rooster.

Quote:
Some people do have success with more than one rooster. You seem to be seeing the general reaction to having more than one mating male in your flock. If the dominant cockeral is bullying and starving the other one it will most likely escalate as they continue to grow out. Roosters that are dominant and mating the hens will not tolerate a lesser male trying to do the same. The aggression can be violent and bloody if they are left together.

If you want to keep both of them the best thing is to give the other cockeral his own little coop and a couple girls.

One more thing - a rooster can over mate a hen and really leave her tattered and in not so nice shape. It is good to have a pen to house the roosters out of the hens area to give them a break every once in a while.

Can I bring in a "foreign" pullet at some point for each of my boys? I only have 6 hens...3 heavy and 3 bantam. I'd like to keep them all together.

Yes, you can. I do ask that you read this thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30851

and have a plan of action to follow.

Good luck and have fun with your chickens.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom