Separating a male duck from his deceased partner

Hugs, it will take time for Mr. Duck to grieve. You can turn this unfortunate event useful to the general health of your flock by seeking to understand what happened. If there is no answer to be had, then please remember that a small percent of a flock are going to have issues. You may be sad about it and learn from it at the same time. Also, there is now room to add someone to your flock. :hugs

The only useful thing I can think of is to share a strategy to feed my Muscovies and mixed flock of chickens. If I’m careful they seem to enjoy better health. I still have one of my original hens at 5 years of age.

Take an empty gallon jug that held milk or water. Pour into the jug a packet of Savachick probiotic powder and a packet of Savachick electrolytes powder, then fill the jug with tepid water and shake up to make a solution.

Shake Purina duck pellets or Flockraiser into feed bowls and pour the solution into the dry food til it’s mixed up moist like wet oatmeal. Don’t allow the animals to eat the dry food.

Serve the well-moistened food to the flock. Make sure everyone gets a chance to fill up their crops. Never serve dry duck pellets to hungry chickens. I had a rooster eat too fast and choke that way.

Back
Top Bottom