Separating breeding pairs of geese

Kamani

Hatching
Feb 18, 2020
Aloha! I live in Hawaii where pure breed geese are very difficult to come by....pure bred anything actually!

A friend recently needed someone to take her breeding pair of Toulouse and breeding trio of Pilgrims: a gold mine and an obligation to try to Keep the birds breeding true, with a bit more value given to the genetics of the Pilgrims.

Of course, you know the Toulouse gander is beating the tar out of the Pilgrim... ostracizing him from his ladies.

I've put them in separate yards but the Toulouse just screams. Screams! For two days now ...I think they’ve all been together since goslings... I think this is their first spring and they’ve never breed before...

Any advice for the accidental goose breeder who would like to protect the precious strains of genetics that someone miraculously got to this island?

You will just have to make separate fenced enclosures for each breed. They will probably holler and scream for each other, but they'll be alright.
Keep a close eye for any signs of mourning though- lethargic, poor appetite...if it gets that bad, personally I would just abort mission and put the 2 back together.

Once they've hatched their babies, you can slowly start to reintroduce them all back together and see how it goes. The more help with raising the babies in a flock the better!

You will just have to make separate fenced enclosures for each breed. They will probably holler and scream for each other, but they'll be alright.
Keep a close eye for any signs of mourning though- lethargic, poor appetite...if it gets that bad, personally I would just abort mission and put the 2 back together.

Once they've hatched their babies, you can slowly start to reintroduce them all back together and see how it goes. The more help with raising the babies in a flock the better!
After a few days they seem to be doing better. Both ganders seem to have come back to their senses, and have some of their mojo back. Thank you!

Aloha!
I am in Hawaii as well- BI. Just got my first geese- Pilgrims. I'd love to stay in touch! Maybe we can trade some goslings in the future?

Aloha! I live in Hawaii where pure breed geese are very difficult to come by....pure bred anything actually!

A friend recently needed someone to take her breeding pair of Toulouse and breeding trio of Pilgrims: a gold mine and an obligation to try to Keep the birds breeding true, with a bit more value given to the genetics of the Pilgrims.

Of course, you know the Toulouse gander is beating the tar out of the Pilgrim... ostracizing him from his ladies.

I've put them in separate yards but the Toulouse just screams. Screams! For two days now ...I think they’ve all been together since goslings... I think this is their first spring and they’ve never breed before...

Any advice for the accidental goose breeder who would like to protect the precious strains of genetics that someone miraculously got to this island?
Aloha Kamani, do you still have your pilgrims????

Back
Top Bottom