Separating Food

sab

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
How? I'm about to combine new younger birds with 1 yr. old birds in a new coop. I can easily separate the younger ones with chicken wire until the older ones seem to be willing to accept them. How do I keep the food separate if you aren't suppose to give laying feed until they are actually laying? Very likely the older birds are going to get to the younger birds food and vs versa. How have you guys handled this??

Thanks in advance.

I can easily separate the younger ones with chicken wire until the older ones seem to be willing to accept them.

Seperate feeders will work​

Last edited:
Hi sab
frow.gif

I have to do that a lot and found the easiest way is to feed everyone Purina Flock Raiser, with a separate dish of oyster shell for the layers. Even my ducks get the Flock Raiser, makes it very easy!

Sally B.

Quote:
This is what we do, although we use our Grange's all-in-one feed, not the purina brand. But the idea's the same. I have six week old meaties, meaties that are way too old already, laying hens, roosters, broody hens, broody ducks, drakes, and four month pullets all eating the same thing. Just free feed the oyster shell, the layers eat what they need. I'd go nuts trying to feed everyone seperate food, and I'm lazy and like things to be easy
wink.png

Great timing for this post! I was going to post and ask if I could let my 7 week old pullets in with my adult flock as they are starting to fly over the double fence and get in with them, thankfully with no harm to the babies! I was of course worried about what to feed them, but saw the post about feeding all of them the Purina Flock Raiser for all of them.

Back
Top Bottom